Author Topic: Help needed - tips on making a display based for oilfield pump jack  (Read 2357 times)

Offline tarum

I've largely completed the Stuart Oilfield Pump model from castings, but have come to a dead stop as to how to proceed making a display base.  The model requires a raised pedestal on which the main model and it's driver will mount, and then a lower level where the pump will be secured.

I'd like to make it nice looking and somewhat scale (not just varnished wood).  I would like the lower level to look like dirt/gravel/crushed stone, and was thinking it would look nice if the pedestal was made to look like brick with a stone top.

There is plenty of info on how to machine things out there, but I can find nothing on how to build the base.  Should it be wood, and then covered?  What kind?  Aluminum?  Where do I get the sheathing materials and how do I attached them?  Any help appreciated.  I'll grab a few pictures of the model shortly and post them.  Thanks.

-Z 

Offline tarum

Re: Help needed - tips on making a display based for oilfield pump jack
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:28:12 AM »
pic

Offline tarum

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:28:35 AM »
pic

Offline tarum

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:29:03 AM »
pic

Offline tarum

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:29:25 AM »
pic

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:43 AM »
Look through J.L's. textile mill diorama thread, as well as his others. John has done some amazing work on brick and concrete finishes with a base of wood or mdf. Night give you some ideas for this nice looking model.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 04:32:17 AM »
A look through a model train store will likely yield a wealth of landscaping and building materials designed especially for the purpose.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 07:46:40 AM »
For the dirt area score your baseboard which can be MDF and then spread a mix of drywall jointing mixed with water and white glue (elmers) onto the baord, texture with a rough piece of stone

Then sprinkle some fine grit/sand onto that and gently push is into the surface with the rough piece of stone and then gently brush some diluted wood glue over that to set it. Fine dirt collected from the road gutter and dried works well.

Now paint it a suitable desert yellow, a couple of thin diluted coats are better than one thick one and when dry add oil washed to add some shadow.

A few rocks and some carfully placed natural bristle paintbrush hairs will complete the look.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
After having a look a the model railway stuff, look up the Wargaming terrain sites.
Ian S C
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:44:46 PM by Ian S C »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal