Author Topic: PMR 7 Twin Cylinder Steam Engine  (Read 32048 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: PMR 7 Twin Cylinder Steam Engine
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
Man that’s looking great Zee. When you say you aren’t making oil cups; are you going to buy them  :shrug:? Hey, I have about two tons of leaf and horse manure ready for composting: good deal, almost free, shipping only buddy  8) :lolb:. P.S. I’m cheating tonight; someone else can cook the pizza. Twelve hours of cooking is enough for me and I ain’t in the mood for ribs anyhoo  :lolb:. Tell T I said hey. Luv y’all

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
When you say you aren’t making oil cups; are you going to buy them  :shrug:? Hey, I have about two tons of leaf and horse manure ready for composting: good deal, almost free, shipping only buddy  8) :lolb:. P.S. I’m cheating tonight; someone else can cook the pizza. Twelve hours of cooking is enough for me and I ain’t in the mood for ribs anyhoo  :lolb:.

Not going to use any oil cups. Will be applying just a drop of oil. The engine won't be steamed and won't be run very long.
The engine is more about remembering and getting back into things.
I may try and use it to learn about painting such things.

T is making homemade pizza. Lovely stuff. Canned hot peppers from last year's garden. They've got a nice sting to them.  :wine1:

[EDIT] Went outside and thought wait...it's Thursday! Pizza is not until tomorrow.  :cussing: Then thought wait...it IS Friday.  :pinkelephant:
Then thought wait...is it? Had to bring up calendar. Oh my...Friday the 13th.  :paranoia:
What an idiot.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:30:15 PM by zeeprogrammer »
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 08:42:19 PM »
Off to a good start Carl  :ThumbsUp:

I appreciate you don't want to make oil cups but have you thought of buying a couple, I think they improve the look even if they are just decorative and they cost very little.  :)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
I appreciate you don't want to make oil cups but have you thought of buying a couple, I think they improve the look even if they are just decorative and they cost very little.  :)

Thanks Gas_mantle. Well if by improving the look means silk purse from pig's ear...it would be worthwhile.  ;D

But it might not be too late. I'll think on it as I get further down the road.

The oil holes are currently drilled to 1/16. I suspect that means there's still meat to thread.

If I do make the oil cups...what diameter oil hole should the cup have?

"To work. To work."

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
Hi Carl, I'm not sure what would be best but maybe something like the smallest of these would be ok.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/steam-engine-oilers-Brass-oil-cups-in-BA-Sizes-Pack-of-2-live-steam-steam-loco/231095536286?hash=item35ce5e0a9e:m:mnAMArVCq1odl_QvTtVDJSA

Admittedly they are in the UK and they are BA threads but I'm sure there will be similar things in the USA.

I did think of buying some for my little Muncaster engine but have decided to make a few as it's only a few mm of brass to waste if I don't like them. I thought of an oil hole perhaps about 1mm but that is just guesswork.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:34 PM »

Thanks Gas_mantle. Well if by improving the look means silk purse from pig's ear...it would be worthwhile.  ;D

But it might not be too late. I'll think on it as I get further down the road.

The oil holes are currently drilled to 1/16. I suspect that means there's still meat to thread.

If I do make the oil cups...what diameter oil hole should the cup have?

If you're going to make miniatures, you can't wimp out and buy oil cups.  Make them yourself or suffer the agonies of wussy-hood!  They're a trivial bit of machining.

If the holes are already drilled to 1/16", the smallest inferial thread you can use is 2-56 (0.07 tap drill size).  Use the smallest drill you have for the drip hole.  If it turns out to be too large, a piece of wire with a pointed end set cocked in the hole can be used to control the oil feed rate.  That's what I used on my Poppin.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
Started on the inboard heads.

To set the part in the chuck, I 3d printed a spacer (spider) and used a couple of parallels.
Parallels and spacer were removed before turning.
The spacer should be reasonably parallel and close enough since the other side of the part is still in its cast form.

1st pic is after facing and sizing the bit that goes through the cylinder mount.
2nd pic is after drilling through 1/8
3rd pic is after drilling/tapping 1/4-28 part way in.

And then I realized a problem. There's not one sodie pop or beer can in the house.  :cussing:
So I can't cut some strips to hold the part when I flip it around.

Well that's fine for now anyway. I'm thinking I want to do the cylinders before I face the back of the inboard head to fit the cylinder.

I know I won't get away with bringing sodie pop into the house.
And around here...you can't buy just one can of beer.

Tomorrow I'm buying some beer.  :cheers:

Just saw your post Marv. Yeah...that was my first thought when I saw the ad. "I'll just make them."
But that's not to say I'm not already well acquainted with wussy-hood.

I generally pick my flights.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 10:54:28 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »

And then I realized a problem. There's not one sodie pop or beer can in the house.

Wait for trash day and raid your neighbors' trash.

Lots of canned fish (e.g., sardines, teriyaki mackerel, anchovies, etc.) come in aluminum cans now.  (BTW, save the cans and cut sponges to fit them, some weights under the sponge and you have nice little soldering iron wipers.)

Old beach chairs with aluminum tubing frames.

Scraps of copper pipe or chimney flashing scavenged from recent construction.

Old, pre-zinc pennies.

Discarded cookie sheets and picture frames.

And, before you laugh, I've used all of these at one time or another in my career.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2018, 11:26:06 PM »

And then I realized a problem. There's not one sodie pop or beer can in the house.

Lots of canned fish (e.g., sardines, teriyaki mackerel, anchovies, etc.) come in aluminum cans now.  (BTW, save the cans and cut sponges to fit them, some weights under the sponge and you have nice little soldering iron wipers.)

Old, pre-zinc pennies.

And, before you laugh, I've used all of these at one time or another in my career.

May I chuckle?
Purely out of respect?

All neat ideas. Over the last couple of weeks I've been internet cruising various hobbies. Not that I'm leaving this one...it's all about ideas and an interest in what people are doing and come up with.

It's just fascinating the things people come up with to make miniatures, dioramas, etc. How they re-purpose items.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2018, 12:51:35 AM »
Wonderful progress zee!! Seems you are getting right back into the swing of things and it's all looking great.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2018, 01:05:33 AM »

Old, pre-zinc pennies.

May I chuckle?
Purely out of respect?

All neat ideas. Over the last couple of weeks I've been internet cruising various hobbies. Not that I'm leaving this one...it's all about ideas and an interest in what people are doing and come up with.

It's just fascinating the things people come up with to make miniatures, dioramas, etc. How they re-purpose items.

Do you have a Pinterest account yet? There are more ideas there than you can possibly imagine.  :lolb:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2018, 02:08:42 PM »
Thanks guys.
@Dave - No Pinterest account yet. I've been meaning to sign up.

Just some simple turning and threading of the piston rods.
I'm a little concerned with the amount of play in the inboard head. We'll see how it goes.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2018, 10:17:00 PM »
Do you mean play in the hole zee? If so that shouldn't be a big issue. Maybe get even allow you to line things up better in the end.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
Do you mean play in the hole zee? If so that shouldn't be a big issue. Maybe get even allow you to line things up better in the end.

Yes. And it may be that because the hole has very little length to it...some play is inevitable. We'll see.

I managed to do the pipe nipples. The yellow-ish rings you see is residue from some yellow masking tape (used by plastic model builders when painting).

Got my beer! Soon I'll have all the aluminum strips I want.  :cheers:
Spent part of the afternoon getting conduit and connections to make some garden trellises.
Part of tomorrow will be spent building the trellises. Man I love having a shop.

"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal