Author Topic: Scaled Hoglet (Jr) project  (Read 86708 times)

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
Re: Scaled Hoglet (Jr) project
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
Thanx all...sorry bout the collet envy..when I saw them and the price...I had to have them.

My head is much better...nothing fell out..that I know of  :Lol: the staples will come out this Friday.

I do have a question for all...I wasn't paying attention to the material list  :facepalm: and made the flywheel crank webs out of aluminum !! Will that be an issue or do I need to start over with steel ?
Hopefully I didn't waste that time and material !! Even tho it's not completed but it was some time...

Dave
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline crankshafter

• Molde, Norway
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »
Hi Dave.
I would have made them out of steel.  :Director:
Ihave made one in " fullsize" fun project.

BTW nice work
Cs
"I cut it twice, and it's still to short"!!??">#%

Offline Groomengineering

• Kansas US
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »
Dave, yes steel would be the better option but I see no reason not to give the Al webs a try.  Worst that can happen is you have to remake them.  :cheers:

Keep up the good work!  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Jeff
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Offline ausdier

• Burpengary, Australia.
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
Dave you missed it ? :facepalm:
I will try and make it clearer next time  :hammerbash:
 :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Dave you missed it ? :facepalm:
I will try and make it clearer next time  :hammerbash:
 :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

I know right !!! Wasn't thinking and just pulled the al chuck out of bin and started to machine away !!! I will try it tho...if it doesn't work the next set will be made twice as easy and of steel !!  :hammerbash: STEEL !!!!

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 03:19:02 AM »
I put some more time on the crank webs... I had to make a fixture for turning the web to dimension...I came up with a round chuck of steel, faced, drilled in center to press fit a piece of drill rod. Transfer punched the second hole and drill and tap to hold web. Worked pretty good. I know I could have put on R/T but I didn't feel like taking vise off right now. Later I might mount it and leave it on like some others on here do.

Offline ausdier

• Burpengary, Australia.
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
I don't think having these made out of ally will have to much of an impact.
When you think about it most flywheels are spoked in one form or another anyway, with a more solid weighty rim on the outside as these will have.
I think it will just be like lightening a flywheel in say, a car, with less weight to swing it should rev quicker  :shrug:
Just my 2c.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »
Or splutter and die if there is not the momentum to carry it through the next firing cycle :Lol:

A lighter flywheel won't make the engine rev faster it will make it get more responsive as it can increase or decrease revs more easily.

J

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
Or splutter and die if there is not the momentum to carry it through the next firing cycle :Lol:

A lighter flywheel won't make the engine rev faster it will make it get more responsive as it can increase or decrease revs more easily.

J

Can you use brass instead of the bronze for the flywheels ? I have some brass that is the right size I need. The bronze is very spendy $$$$$ !!!!! I will have the webs made of stell...since I messed them up last night and cut them to thin on one side so the thru hole broke thru...don't ask how  but it happened !!!  :hammerbash:
Thanx again
 Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 08:27:21 PM »
Brass is about 10% lighter than bronze, you could possibly add a little to teh width or OD of the flywheels to compensate.

Also look into buying the hollow cast bronze, that way you are not paying for the swarf in the middle. On my full size one I use 4"oD x 3" ID bronze.

J

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 01:34:54 AM »
Coming along nice Dave!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
Thanx again for the support for a newbie engine builder ! I did get a little time yesterday....I had to make the crank webs over again. Yes...this time in steel ! I had a brain cramp and started to the process out of order and had to over come my mistake. I had cut the radius first...oops...took me a few moments to figure out how to cut the small reliefs from the part. It might not be the correct way but it worked out. Used my V jaw for the vise to hold the part and re-zero everything. It should have started out like in post #30. So a little backwards but it still went forward !!

In this pic you can see where I messed up by not flipping the part over. The screwdriver tip points to where the hole broke thru the side. I did all the work prior to thinning the part to the correct thickness. Then got carried away with the fly cutting and went too deep plus it should have been flipped over half way to even the cuts per each side.

Now I have two crank webs out of "Steel" !!! I need to look for a jewelers coping saw to cut the slot between the pinch holes.

Have a great day... Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »
Dave, like you I am a newbie also so it just goes with learning and learning to think things through.
Looking good from my view.

Don

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
Good going Dave  :ThumbsUp: - it's good to see that you're not letting some mishaps get in your way  :)

If you have slitting saws, that will do a great job on sawing the slit as well.  They tend to leave a much neater saw mark.  And a Junior Hacksaw will also do a good job; it might be easier to get a straight cut using it than a coping saw.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2012, 03:51:22 AM »
Well...Had a little time in the dungen today...it really turned out to be just that !! I had a ooops tonight. While boring the bronze flywheel I had measured the steel web and had locked that number in my head while the drawing was right in front of me. I had bored the flywheel to that measurement...WRONG DIMENSION !!! Now it's a slip fit !!! Wasted some more $$$...hate it when that happens !! :hammerbash: :hammerbash: :hammerbash: :hammerbash: :hammerbash: :hammerbash: :hammerbash:

So I have had enough for tonight...not sure when I will get back to it. Next week sometime if all goes well with the weather. The storm Sandy is coming and have to prep the house and yard. The mishaps just keep coming...eventuly they will be further apart !!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:00:25 AM by V 45 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal