Author Topic: Scaled Hoglet (Jr) project  (Read 86728 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Scaled Hoglet (Jr) project
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2016, 02:21:55 AM »
The carb looks great Dave. Now how about those gears, you can do it........... :stickpoke:

Don

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #241 on: February 10, 2016, 02:40:58 AM »
Thanks Don.
 The correct gear cutters are on there way...should be another couple weeks before they arrive. I haven't thrown in the towel...just got the right advice !! I'll do a shout out to JasonB for taking the time and effort to answer my specific questions. So, once they all get here I'll be cutting gears ...hopefully the right way !!! So, until then there are some more parts to be made for the engine. Gives me a chance to look things over again and see if any other previously made parts need a little attention...some do !! Plus I haven't even attempted the cam yet !!
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #242 on: February 10, 2016, 02:43:43 AM »
Thanks Zee....Your close enough to come check it out in person !! More than welcome !! I have been looking for a 16' penny for reference...since this is taking years to complete !!

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2016, 03:58:46 AM »
More carb parts and refined some. Plus awful silver solder job !! No pic but the 1st time I tried silver soldering the main jet needle to the adjustment thumb wheel( I guess that's what it is) it melted into a blob. Yikes !! The needle was salvaged by turning all the blob off on the lathe !!  I also soldered the gas tube to the main jet body. Another failure in silver soldering. Probably not the best way to do it...but held it in a collet and turned all that excess with my parting tool after extending the blade to clear the longer threaded portion of the main jet body. If it didn't work I was going to be forced to make another one anyway. Hopefully my silver soldering skills will sharpen and won't have to figure out goofy ways to fix the screw ups !! It looks alright after some serious cleanup !! Maybe a little more might be in store. I made the throttle lever in a different manner. Since the plans call for a blade silver soldered to a piece of brass and we've all seen what a fantastic job I do with that !! I made it from a solid brass rod. Drilled for mounting on top of the carb barrel. Installed it, looked at it, didn't like the baseball bat look !! Back in the mill with collet block and cut to a blade shape while leaving the spherical end. Looks better but not sure ? Still waiting for my gear cutters to arrive...then we'll see some real damage to some bar stock !! LOL !! Well that's where I'm at.

Globs of solder !!

Parts all cleaned up. Changed the thumb wheel from last post..it looked to big and needed a easier way to turn the jet. Used a 1/8" ball mill and 6 sided collet block in mill, I like this look !

Baseball bat lever in lathe...it looks worse in a big picture...but yeah it's ugly !!

Cut down bat installed...still looks BIG !

Another view...I placed it next to the cylinder and head...it does look pretty big compared to the engine. We'll have to see when all together.

Thanks again
 V 45

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2016, 03:47:03 AM »
Cam time !!! A big thank you to Phil_L and Brian Rupnow. Both have helped me accomplish this nerve racking piece (to me) !! Phil took some extra effort to "walk" me thru the challenge. Thanks again to you both !!!

Turning the cam blank...it required .030" slot between lobes. I cut that with a parting tool ground down to .030"since I didn't know what else to use. It chattered like crazy...since I had to move the tool out so the QCTP wouldn't hit the live center. I also had to shim the parting tool to get a grip in the holder. I didn't understand that since it was the same size as my normal tool of 1/2". In the end it didn't matter...

Well...1st off was the cam blank(s). It was suggested I do this...it was a good idea to practice a technique I wasn't familiar with.

After the practice session I moved right onto the real deal...one lobe done !!!!

Milling completed...

Cam and parent stock moved over to the lathe....cut off excess, spot drilled, and thru drilled.

Cleaned it up with a small file and emery cloth, part off to length. Installed on cam shaft.

For cutting/making my 1st cam what do you think of it ??

I'll be cutting some gears hopefully next !!!
 Thanks again.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2016, 04:25:50 AM »
What do I think of it? Looks like a mighty fine and mighty small cam  ;)

Nice looking little carb  :ThumbsUp:

LOOKING NICE!!!  :praise2:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2016, 07:09:44 AM »
What do I think of it? H*** I can't even see it!! That's got to be the smallest cam I ever couldn't see. Wow, that's some
real careful work. One sneeze.....

I'm loving this build,
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2016, 07:38:23 AM »
It looks good to me  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Is it on a separate shaft to allow the engine to be assembled? Otherwise it could be made in one piece.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #248 on: February 20, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »
Looks good, are they curved flanks or flat as it look like you have used a method for flat flanks rather than the suggested curved method, probably won't make any difference on such a small cam.

J

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »
Wow. Nice work!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for the praise  !!! It wasn't the easiest of tasks.  Jason,  yes it has flat flanks.  I have no idea how to make it with the boring head  !!! Or how to make the cutter.  If it doesn't work then it'll be back to the drawing board.  Hopefully it will. ....

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
Dave good to see your still at it. That cam looks great...... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2016, 01:37:09 AM »
Thanks Don...I'm back in the saddle again !! Doc...thanks. It's 2 pieces as the plans have them that way for no other reason. The shafts are drill rod.

Got some time in the dungeon today between other family duties... GEARS !!!
Well a HUGE THANKS to JasonB !! This wouldn't have been possible without his patience with me and his time , effort explaining what I needed !!  Again thank you !!
 So...After a long wait for some gear cutters it was time to dive in ! Plus the rotary table is already hogging up the mill table.
 Here is the first gear that I have ever made.... WHEW HEW !! Well, not completely...it's still on parent alum stock, 20 tooth 0.5 module

Here is the next 20 tooth 0.5 module in brass. This one will be used in engine after a cross threaded set screw hole is added.

Here is a end view

Here is my practice piece for large timing gear in alum 40 tooth

And the one for engine in brass 40 tooth, these are both 0.5 module (brass and alum)

And this is where I ended the dungeon time....I was so excited !!! GEARS !!! I couldn't resist rolling them in my fingers...they mesh pretty well !! Man Oh Man...HAPPY non machinist , machining !!!

Well, tomorrow I plan on getting some more shop time and part these off and make a couple more gears I need.
 For those that make gears regularly...What do you think of these first timers ??

Thanks again

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2016, 02:02:28 AM »
Awesome Dave, just awesome bud. Glad to see you getting it done....... :pinkelephant:

Don

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2016, 02:30:34 AM »
Thanks Don !!! I'm getting more and more excited every time one of these difficult for me parts comes to shape !! I'm digging it immensely ... here is a pic I had wanted to show...forgot my penny shot !!!

Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal