Author Topic: Compressor Switch ... Grrrrrrr !  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Compressor Switch ... Grrrrrrr !
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
This sort of thing :

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pressure-switch-4-port-20-amp-1-phase/

Now mine is NOT one of those but it's similar. Just so you know what I'm babbling about.

It switches off OK @ 105 PSI like I've set it but it doesn't kick in until the pressure drops to about 65 PSI   :(

While the user can set the max. pressure it appears the differential is 'designed in' ?

NOW, having belatedly read the damned instructions , it claims the differential is 30 - 45 PSI . So it's actually working OK.

Is it possible to get a replacement unit with a lesser differential. Like kicking back in @ 80 PSI ??

Loads of 3-port items on t'net and while they state min / max pressure no mention of differential   :thinking:

Any clued-up geezer know where I should be looking? Doesn't seem a lot to ask ...

Feeling somewhat deflated ....  :'(

Dave

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Compressor Switch ... Grrrrrrr !
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »
Dave

In short yes , but as the differential gets smaller the price goes up , the better ones have an adjustable dif

I will look up a supplier

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:45:09 PM »
Dave

Can find plenty but no info on diff settings

The one on my bambi is pretty good but spares are pricey

https://www.airsupplies.co.uk/bpb1074-bambi-compressor-pressure-switch

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:07:01 PM »
Stuart

I'd actually seen that one, but I can't find ANY that tell you what the diff. is. Having precisely no practical experience of compressors it seems to be a lot of 'backlash'  to me.  :headscratch:

Not that it really matters. Scrounged my mates  air sander to do some grotty planks and it's heroic compared with my Bosch leccy sander but it scoffs about 6-8 CFM which is tops for my compressor. Problem is, when the pressure drops I have to stop until it gets up again ..

Life never seems to be fun any more .... always bloody something .....  :cussing:  Really enjoyed seeing clouds of shytte going over next door. Revenge for their stinky cremations barbecues ....

Dave

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 04:10:52 AM »
Hi Bluechip, good news, there is nothing wrong with your pressure switch and you really do not want one with a narrow gap between on and off, whatever the price.

You see, that switch is not a pressure controller, and it is supposed to have a good range between on and off.  It is the capacity controller for your compressor, and it's job is to match the capacity of your compressor to the consumption of what ever device you are using the air for.  If you want a steady controlled pressure, you need a diaphragm operated pressure control valve on the outlet of your tank.   Let me explain.

Your compressor is basically a fixed volumetric capacity device.  Even if you added variable speed, you would only have a limited range of usable capacity.  But your uses probably range from a tiny air brush to that sander.  When you need less than the compressor capacity, you run the compressor in an on/off mode, which the pressure switch does very well, and results in the least power consumption for any given air consumption.

The tank on your compressor, and you really need one if you don't have one, has the task of storing excess air from the compressor when it is running, and supplying back that air when the compressor is off.  Now air does not condense at the conditions in your compressor system, so the only way to store air is to let the the pressure rise.  The more the pressure rises, the more air is stored, and you can use it for more time before the compressor cuts in again.

So the idea is to set that switch so the "on" point is a bit above the minimum pressure you need, then the tank will store air up to the "off" point, and the combination of the tank volume and pressure hopefully stores enough air to give your compressor the necessary cool down time before it has to start again.  It should also allow the compressor to run long enough to ensure the lubrication is adequately distributed.

The air tank also damps the pulsations that a reciprocating compressor produces, but if there is not enough range between the on and off of the pressure switch, that is all it will do.

So providing the off setting is not so high that it lifts the safety valve, and the on setting is high enough for the minimum pressure required by any of your devices, the more range the better.  And if you want a more steady pressure, say for an air brush, or to run your engines at constant speed, install a diaphragm type pressure control valve on the tank outlet.  Preferably one with a coalescing type water separator included if you use an air brush, to stop water droplets spoiling your paint job.  And relax, confident that that pressure switch is doing what it was intended to do.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 07:37:17 AM »
Sounds like The switch has a lower on point than what the tool needs and that is why Dave wonts one that comes on sooner.

Thing is even with a higher on point is the motor rated to run for longer periods and two what is the actual delivery rate (FAD) as even running flat out it may not be able to produce air at the rate needed. You don’t usually get the FAD quoted on small hobby units, they give piston displacement which is often 50% more so a compressor sold as 10cfm may only produce 6 cfm with no load.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:41:10 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 04:11:59 PM »
Hi Folks

Just back from an enjoyable visit to Jo's establishment ..   :praise2:  Driving back via M25/M3 and a good bit of the M1 water everywhere and blinded with spray took the shine off it somewhat ...  :(   Got home it's completely dry and even a bit warmish here  ....

As I mentioned to Jo, it was OK-ish until I stopped the sander to turn the plank over. By the time I'd done that the compressor had reached max. and shut down.
Then using the sander pressure in tank drops until it's too low and compressor kicks in again.
Then  had to stop while the tank came up a bit before I could carry on ....  :cussing:

Can't find the actual spec. but IIRC it's 8cfm FAD @ 90 PSI and (?) 6cfm FAD @ 115 PSI. Driven by a 2HP 1ph motor, 50l receiver.

No big deal.  :headscratch:  Job done, sander returned, probably never use it again.

Dave

OK a bit more:

Spec I have is in ITALIAN !!!! It says 400 l m-1 @ 6 BAR which works out about 13 cfm so the 8cfm FAD is in the right ball park.  Perchance ???

Like I said .... Not my field   ;D

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:08:34 PM by Bluechip »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal