Author Topic: PMR #5 - as a fill in project  (Read 22505 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: PMR #5 - as a fill in project
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »
Methinks someone smells retirement.  ;D

Glad to see this Bill.  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 01:00:27 AM »
Thanks Zee. I actually got a bit done on the pulley too but not enough to show yet. Got to get back to the Pearl and get it finished up now.  This week is too busy to think about much of anything!! My final two classes tomorrow, collection and restocking of the student tool boxes all day Wednesday, Senior Design Expo Thursday, a very dull and boring half day seminar Friday and our final exam on Saturday from 11:30-2:30, just the perfect time to screw up a whole day.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 01:07:33 AM »
Thanks Zee. I actually got a bit done on the pulley too but not enough to show yet. Got to get back to the Pearl and get it finished up now.  This week is too busy to think about much of anything!! My final two classes tomorrow, collection and restocking of the student tool boxes all day Wednesday, Senior Design Expo Thursday, a very dull and boring half day seminar Friday and our final exam on Saturday from 11:30-2:30, just the perfect time to screw up a whole day.

Well I didn't say 'thinking', I said 'smelling'.  ;D They may end up to the same goal but getting there is a little different.  ;D

Looks like you've got this week 'counted'.  :ROFL:

[EDIT] It was me doing the 'methinking'.
"To work. To work."

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 01:12:41 AM »
Hi Bill

I went to the senior design showcase last Friday at our local University (Boise State). I had helped one of the Mechanical Engineering teams with some sheet metal parts, and also one of the Materials Science teams that my company had sponsored. The Materials Science team was working on properties of 3d printed samples from the systems that we have at work.

It was fun to see all the interesting projects that all the teams had worked on. These were from all the different engineering fields. Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Chemical, and Materials.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 01:22:52 AM »
Ours is very similar Dave, many of the teams are multi-disciplinary in fact, just depends on the nature of the project. I know I complain at times about the freshmen I see daily (some of them anyway), but those that make it to their senior year really do some outstanding work and some very technical and theoretical work as well. I have mentored teams up until this year for the entire time I have been at the university. The team I had last year was one of the most outstanding teams I ever had, they completed a working automated test rig for Dixon Valve company for coming up with pressure vs. flow rates for quick disconnects from 1/4" up to 2" pipe sizes. They did so well in fact, the company hired two of them at the end of the project.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 01:28:30 AM »
That's really cool Bill.
I sure have enjoyed what I have been involved with over the last couple of years.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 01:32:13 AM »
Dave, its amazing how smart some of them get between freshman and senior year  :lolb:.  It truly is one of the things I will miss most though.

Bill

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 03:49:50 AM »
Still watching Bill. :popcorn:

BTW, what college are you working for next?  I'd sign up as an undergrad, but you'd probably con me into TA-ing some of the valve flow stand labs. :lolb:

The 3/4" pipe I used for my last honeydo (see the chatterbox/gardening thread) came off of one of the old test stands after we upgraded to a fast-clamp system for valve testing.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
Bent, I am at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.  Might be a bit of a long commute for you but there is still time to   sign up for summer sessions  :LittleDevil:

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »
It's coming along Bill  :ThumbsUp:

Keep it up, I want to see it running  :)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »
An old chum of the wife's (student with her at Northwestern in Chicago years back) is out from Raleigh for a visit.  I'd probably bunk with him.  But summer in NC...dunno.  Is the shop air conditioned?  :)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »
Currently no, but when I revamp my old shop building (from before I came here to the  university) that is #1 on the priority list!!

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
Currently no, but when I revamp my old shop building (from before I came here to the  university) that is #1 on the priority list!!

Hee hee hee. Someone's got plans.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 07:26:18 PM »
Indeed I do Zee, all to be revealed in due time :)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »
Zee, I bet he’s going to open a private school for “model machining “ . If he signs up a few of us (attendance not required) he could probably update the shop, cental HVAC, new machines, and get funding and tax credits for doing it. See I know the educational and tax system works  :lolb:  TBH: wonder how I came up with that  :shrug: :naughty:.

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal