Author Topic: PMR #5 - as a fill in project  (Read 22566 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
PMR #5 - as a fill in project
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:22:27 PM »
These castings are now very well aged...probably close to 20 years  :o (my how time flies). I got these from the PMR folks back when they sold them as all bronze castings rather than aluminum or iron or a combination of those. Anyway I had started on the sub base long ago and then got diverted to some other project and there things sat. I have resurrected this project as a fill in while finding time to do some larger machine work on the Little Pearl (will post more on that later today though). These #5 castings will generate some work for the Cowells lathe too which will be nice as well.

For now, I have gotten a few things done on the engine coke bottle frame on the top end and the mounting holes on the bottom to attach it to the sub base so am attaching a few pictures of that. As noted, progress will be sporadic as the Pearl is still on the front burner but I did always like this little engine and hope to be bringing it along not too slowly.

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: PMR #5 - as a fill in project
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
Great to see someone having a go at one of these Bill  :)

I rather like the slightly unusual look of bottle engines.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »
Looks like a fun project. Enjoy!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 03:58:33 PM »
Looks good Bill!

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
That was one of the first kits that I made many moons ago, fun project, runs pretty well considering the looser fits I got back then. As I recall, the hardest part was figuring out how to hold it to machine the top end of the bottle. How did you do it?

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:36:13 PM »
Hey Bill,
This looks like a fun little project!  Looks like you had already done some work on the castings too.
Will be following along.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »
Chris, I did it carefully in the 4jaw chuck. Very light cuts too so it wasn't fast at all but it worked ok.

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 06:44:29 PM »
Hi Bill,

:popcorn:

John

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »
Ok Jo, how many are you going to start building  :lolb: :lolb:. Seriously, they are a great build. This engine was my third build and the first one I show when I’m showing someone about my addiction, er hobby.  :DrinkPint: and  :popcorn: in hand; lead the way.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 01:38:41 AM »
I had forgotten you did that one Cletus. I will look back at your build thread. Thanks also for looking in guys.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
Ok Jo, how many are you going to start building  :lolb: :lolb:

:thinking: I don't have one of those in the collection... It looks desirable  :embarassed: Now who is it that does those castings in the UK  :noidea:

But I do have a couple of fill in projects on the go in between other infill projects  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »
Nice!  I have that kit waiting in the wings for me Bill, so will be following your build with interest.  I did see Cletus's build log too, which left me a bit worried, as there were places he, er, struggled.  The machining and alignment of the bottle features has me scratching my head, so like I said, will follow with interest. :popcorn:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »
I think you’ll really enjoy this one Professor. I was just looking at mine yesterday and remembered, if the flywheel and drive pulley is still brass or bronze; if you will put them in a oven on about 250Frankenstein for the paint to cure, they come out with an almost aged golden patina. Bent, I do remember my trials and tribulations on this one :facepalm2:. It was my first engine from castings and was the one in which the main body fell off the bench and when it bounced, I stomped the h e double l out of it and broke it  :lolb:. Learned a lot since then, yet, still having trials and tribulations . Now I look at it as “fettling and fitting” the “prototype” parts  :lolb:. Tally Ho to the showcase Professor  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
No shame in that, Cletus!  In my last log I showed my mistakes to people too, if only in hopes they'll learn from them, or at least get a laugh.  You lead by example, sir. 

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 12:32:07 AM »
I'll get back on the Pearl engine cylinder tomorrow but this weekend and today was spent making the crosshead and finishing the inside of the frame casting to mate with the crosshead. I actually started with the frame on Saturday and clocked it in with the 4 jaw till the top bore was running true and then carefully used a boring bad to turn the two crosshead slides on the inner part of the frame. I just got the close and sorry, forgot to take a pic of that. At work today I put the frame in one of the full size mills, again centered on the already machined top opening using the coax indicator, and then slowly used that .750" reamer I had bought for the Pearl engines bearings to ream down through the slides. This is shown in photos 1 & 2.

I also  got the crosshead casting machined over the weekend. After turning and then drilling and tapping the stem for the piston rod, it was flipped around, and the OD turned to .749" as required. The crosshole was located and drilled and the bottom milled out for the con rod. The finished crosshead is shown in the last picture.

When I got home tonight, I tried the fit and it is a very nice sliding fit, no binding at all but not sloppy either so I was happy with that.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal