Author Topic: Chuky  (Read 3479 times)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
Chuky
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQbjSQ1o2A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQbjSQ1o2A</a>

:cartwheel:

A big thank you to Jason and Graham  :ThumbsUp:.

Rod
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:16:23 AM by Jo »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chuky
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:37:16 PM »
Very nice!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »
A very nice running engine Rod. Have to be happy with that!!

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:27:50 AM »
That did not take you very long seems like only a week or two ago you were machining the base.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Thanks guys, very satisfying, as always, to have a runner  :)

It was a quick build, took about a month (would have been less if I hadn't had to make several components twice due to silly mistakes >:( ).  Great drawings from Jason.  I made a few changes to Jason's design to suite materials I had in stock so the sub base is a little small because I had some 4" diameter ally and the crankshaft is 1/4" rather than 6mm to suite the bearings.  The cam follower is also a small ball bearing.  Not having a supply of scaffold tube I managed to roll up some 1mm steel on my recently made George Thomas rolls for the bearing support.  I'm afraid the range of colours in heat resisting paint is rather limited so it looks like it's going to end up the same colour as Jason's.  One disadvantage of the vertical design is that the works get covered in soot - I can see why Jason painted the support black.  One little tip - silver solder paste is very good for joining small components like the block on the shutter.

Cheers,
Rod

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »
Hi Rod.

What a wonderful surprise! The saying " Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery " comes to mind.

I only painted one of my CHUK engines, the original prototype, I used a heat resistant Silver White for the cylinder and used Black stove paint for the base.

I've attached a photo of my prototype CHUK 2 with a simple addition I made to it last week. A small trough milled into the base just below the flame port that can be filled with Methylated spirit will give a " soot " free run for several minutes.

Cheers Graham.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »
Graham,

Thanks, I'll give that some thought.  I've  got some napalm like gel that they sell in alpine supermarkets for putting under fondue that might do the job.

Cheers,

Rod

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 09:59:48 PM »
That's great Rod it's one to be proud of  :ThumbsUp:  Originally I couldn't see the video in your post but all is well now.

Do engines like this run for long periods with enough fuel or to they get less reliable as things heat up ?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:40:32 PM »
Nice one Rod.  :ThumbsUp:

What's that can of fuel in the background? And did you have to make fittings for it?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:06:42 AM »
Hi Chaps,

Chuky seems to carry on running without problems once it has warmed up.  Mine needs about 10 flicks with the flame on before it will sustain a run.  Once hot it starts first flick as in the video.  I've had it running for about 15 minutes continuously.  Gas is a butane/propane mix - just happens to be what I have in stock for a small torch.  The connector is from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Gas-Stove-Adapter-Hose-Connector-Regulator-for-Camping-Picnic-BBQ/263113602220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just needed an M7 x .75 tap (which is Metric Fine) for the connection to the burner.  All this is in Jason's splendid build log.

Cheers,

Rod

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 07:23:16 AM »
Peter, I think Graham mentioned that he had one of his CHUk engines running for about 4hrs at the Anson museum, like Rod I have not run mine for long 10-15mins is the most.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 09:05:09 AM »
Handsome model engine, and a good runner...
Soot ? but from where does that soot come from?

I stop my engines after a little less than half an hour, just before they moan and grind to a stop.
4 hours of continuous run, wow, its great, I have to make a Chuky for my next show !
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:11:32 AM by Zephyrin »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:32 PM »
Hello All.

Yes indeed, CHUK 2 ( inverted vertical ) ran at the Anson engine museum for 4 hours straight! I use a small Propane gas supply to a series of holes drilled just under the shutter and flame port. I posted a photo of it a few posts above.

CHUK 2 is a little bit bigger than Jason's Chuky and is of virtually all Iron construction.

I've just dropped the patterns in at the foundry today for a small run of castings, my sons bolstered by their recent success with the Robinson hot air engines want to build the CHUK 2 too!

Cheers Graham.

Offline Mathew28

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
@ Alyn Foundry and finish number 4 :)
Nil Carborundum illegitimi

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »
@ Alyn Foundry and finish number 4 :)

A poke ??   :stickpoke:

That's your " baby " Mathew, not mine!   ;)

Dad.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal