Author Topic: Inspiration for new air motor  (Read 22998 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Inspiration for new air motor
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2018, 12:05:35 AM »
I just spent 20 minutes in the garage, untaping the flywheels and washing any blue paint off the sides of the flywheels. The paint always "migrates" under the tape edges when you are masking off steel, and if you don't catch it just at the right time it is very difficult to clean off-----leaves a ragged looking edge. You want the parts dry enough that the paint won't stick to your fingers, but still not absolutely dry. A rag wrapped over the end of your finger and wetted with paint thinners works excellent for this, but it's a rather delicate process. Someone asked if I was going to clearcoat the polished face and edges of the flywheels, and I said no, because all of the polishing compounds you use are wax based and will protect it from rusting.--That is still correct---But--if you are going to paint the flywheels you have to be sure and remove all of the wax first with strong laquer thinners. So--consequently, when my paint is fully cured I will apply a bit more "final polish" compound to the unpainted surfaces.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
I'm down to the point where everything is painted and polished. I had hoped to capture some of the brilliant shine on the brass, but it doesn't show up very well in this picture.---And---when I went to take another shot I got the "Charge Battery" message on my digital camera. Reassembly should be a fairly simple exercise, but I just got a call from one of my customers and that will eat up my afternoon. Tomorrow I will put it all back together. When it's all blown apart like this, there aren't very many pieces, are there.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »
The painting and polishing is finished, and the engine is reassembled. I'm very happy with the way this engine turned out. I've built so many engines over this past winter that I hope not to start anything else between now and fall. Thank you to the people who have followed this build on the forum.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mjw4YLCt9E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mjw4YLCt9E</a>

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »
Excellent engine Brian, thanks for having us along for the ride!

:cheers:

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:26 PM »
Looks great in its paint Brian, another interesting engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:21 PM »
I'll say!  This one is fascinating, as are all of your engines. They always have a hook to them.
Nice video too.
Kim 

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2018, 11:27:52 PM »
Engine looks and runs great Brian. Be sure and keep us up to date on your gardening projects on the “gardening thread” since you aren’t going to be doing anymore engines till the fall  :stir: :stickpoke:

Cletus

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2018, 11:43:36 PM »
Nice  looking model Brian, and it runs good to  :cheers:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2018, 11:49:27 PM »
Nice job Brian, she looks and runs great!

Dave

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #174 on: May 04, 2018, 10:30:32 PM »
Interesting the way it turned out.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2018, 01:12:09 AM »
Great runner and very nicely finished too Brian. Well done!!

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »
About a week ago I ordered an 8" buffing wheel and a buff rake from Eastwood. Of course I was too impatient to wait another week to finish polishing the engine parts, so I bought a 6" buffing wheel locally to get the job done. Today, my order showed up. My God--What a ferocious looking beast that buff rake is!! I've never had one before now, so wasn't sure exactly what to expect. This thing looks like it would scrape the barnacles off the Titanic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:29:38 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
Brian, it that beast supposed to just fluff up the buff and remove excess rouge etc. or what? Have never tried one. Would be curious as to before and after pics.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Over time, the buff gets clogged up and hard with rouge and metal, the rake cleans it out and refluffs the wheel, just like a diamond dresser does on a grinding wheel. Mine looks a lot like that one. Don't need to use it very often, but it gets the wheel back to useful again. It does remove some of the outer layer of cloth. I use it on a cloth layer wheel, not sure about on a hard felt wheel. Careful of the angle you use it at, so it doesnt dig in and get grapped.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »
I will start a new thread with before and after pictures. Some of my buffs are just terrible right now. Really matted, full of brass and aluminum particles, just awful. I have been thinking about buying a buff-rake for about 25 years but have never actually had one. I don't want to try it right now, because my lathe and machine shop are clean as a whistle, and I just know this is going to be a filthy job.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal