Author Topic: Inspiration for new air motor  (Read 22940 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Inspiration for new air motor
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2018, 01:51:02 AM »
Yah, I never stay bummed for long. Weatherman is calling for mid sixties temperatures by Tuesday. I'm just tired of endless winter.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »
As it sits, looks like a mechanical puppy.

:popcorn:

Wow, the resemblance is uncanny but sure it won’t look like one with the flywheels on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2018, 01:12:28 AM »
Brian
I’ve machined buckets of railroad wheels and a few flywheels so I have a bit of expertise.  The best advice I can give you is when you center the flywheel on the lathe do not focus on the center hub but rather on the inside of the outer rim (see (photo).  You will be machining the outside of the flywheel “true”, so if it is out of round, your machining will fix that.  If the hub is a little off center, no one will notice’ but if the inside of the rim doesn’t run “true” it’s very noticeable. Does this make sense?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2018, 01:18:11 AM »
I have to make a new angle for my dangle!! The straight pivot bar that rocks back and forth as the engine runs is just too close to the cast cylinder when the piston is at top dead center. It won't let the crankshaft make a full revolution. I have milled, filed, and sanded away the end of it until I finally decided "This ain't going to fly". I have a new one designed that still keeps all of the important pivot points in the same plane, but the bar has a curve added to the bottom so it will clear the pivot bracket and the end of the cylinder.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2018, 01:25:48 AM »
Yes Craig, it does make a lot of sense. CWelkie has posted the method he used in post #95 of this thread., where he make a "fixture" from wood that was a "precision fit" into the inside of the outer rim and about 2 or 3" thick. The fixture was mounted in a large chuck and the cast flywheel was held in place by "capture plates" across the spokes. This allowed them to machine the outer diameter of the flywheel to be concentric with the inner diameter, face both sides of the rim, and machine the centerhole and one side of the hub all in one set-up.---Brian
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:58:44 AM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
Couldn’t you just put it in the 4jaw and clock that rim turn the bits you need to then put on an arbor and turn the rest?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
Couldn’t you just put it in the 4jaw and clock that rim turn the bits you need to then put on an arbor and turn the rest?

Probably--i haven't got the parts yet, so I will have a clearer idea of how to go about it when I have the parts in my hand.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »
I got off early this afternoon from my "real" job, so I came right home and built a new pivot bar for the engine I am working on. Now, although everything is very "stiff" I do have it so that the crankshaft can rotate thru a full 360 degrees. There is still a fair bit to be done on this engine, but I always think it's a milestone when I get all the big pieces together and can go thru a full rotation of the crankshaft without something going "clunk".-----And I have no idea why Mr. Hand is in the preview!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0mZefCfBoE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0mZefCfBoE</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:03 PM »
These guys just showed up in the mail. They measure about 5.1" o.d. with a 0.520" wide face. I was expecting them to be a little heavier, but since I never bought flywheels before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Hopefully, they will serve the purpose. I guess I'll find out as I go along. I have paid over $100 Canadian funds for these, including the shipping by mail. I have to wait and see my bank statement before I'll know how much more than $100 they cost.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »
Were you expecting aluminium castings Brian? I thought they would be iron, I see why you are using two now.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »
Hi Brian,

In a flywheel, you are not looking for mass, but moment of inertia.  Mass is only a small part of the equation for moment of inertia. 

Each little bit of mass has to be multiplied by its distance from the axis of rotation squared.  So if you place the rim twice as far from the axis, it contributes four times as much to the moment of inertia, even when you thin down the dimensions so the larger diameter rim is the same mass.  The units of moment of inertia are kg.m2.

It is quite possible to make a larger diameter flywheel from aluminium with less mass than a smaller steel one, but similar or larger moment of inertia, so just as effective for your engine flywheel.

I don't want to hijack your thread, which I never miss reading, so I will add a little on how to do the calculations in my thermodynamics thread.  I often stray into other theoretical areas on that one.  Please let me know if you would rather I took an alternative approach.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
Those flywheels are cast iron. Brand new cast iron with no rust. They pass the magnet test. I never thought about aluminum flywheels.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2018, 06:53:52 PM »
Brian that’s good, they look like alu on the pic! Surely mass is the biggest pay of the equation as that’s is the multiplier I.e a lead flywheel of the same proportions will have a greater moment of inertia than an aluminium flywheel due to the mass x

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2018, 07:37:39 PM »
The cylinder head and the valve body are finished and assembled. I spent a couple of hours chasing down "tight spots" in the assembly, and now I have it so it will turn over very easily. I'm going to take the rest of today off and read a book!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »
Who can tell me where I can get outside circlips  that fit into a groove cut into a 1/8", 3/16" or 1/4" shaft, and the tool that you use to insert them? I always have a bunch of 1/8" pivot pins on the stuff I build, and never have a good way to keep them in place. I know there is an insertion tool for metric circlips, but I have never seen one for inch size circlips. Circlips are also known as external snap rings. I have a terrible time trying to put them on with pliers. Before I can get one in place, I have lost five others zooming across my room and disappearing forever.--Whoops---I may have answered my own question.--I checked out the Spae Naur catalogue looking for alternative names for these things, and I see that they sell the tool.-Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal