Author Topic: Inspiration for new air motor  (Read 22984 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Inspiration for new air motor
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
Both flywheels were given the same sandpaper treatment, then polished with an old Eastwood polishing kit left over from my hot-rodding days. all buffs were ran at 450 rpm. First a sisal buff with emery compound, then a spiral buff with stainless compound, then a loose cotton buff with white rouge. It certainly makes a big change from the machined cast iron finish.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
A few pages back in this thread I was asking about e-clip insertion tools. I found out that Spae-Naur in Kitchener Ontario has external retaining rings (which are less fat than an e-clip but do the same thing) and also sell the installation tools. The tools aren't cheap---about $40 each, but I figured that after 27 engines I deserved them. So--I got 100 of 1/8" shaft external retaining rings, and 100 of the 3/16" shaft external rings, and the tools to insert both sizes.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »
Another unique engine for your fine collection Brian. Cast iron can be made to look like chrome if one wants to spend the time finessing it.
Congratulations,
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2018, 09:38:18 PM »
Thank you George. I'm glad you stopped by and had a look.---Brian

Offline Sleddog

• South East South Dakota, USA
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2018, 10:54:21 PM »
Very nice Brian. Quite unique. Congratulations

Jack

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2018, 12:04:29 AM »
A question now, related to the finishing/painting of the flywheels. The flywheels are made from a split pattern, and the split is exactly on the center of the spokes. There isn't a lot of flash, but there is a definite ridge on each side of the spokes and the inside center of the outer rim. Now, I have the option of sanding that ridge away with my Dremel tool, but in so doing it will leave a smooth surface which does not match the general "as cast" surface of the rest of the flywheel where I haven't polished it. I definitely don't want to sand away the "as cast" surface on all the flywheel. Maybe I should just leave the ridge alone and paint everything that I didn't polish today. Opinions please, and pointers from those who have painted flywheels themselves.---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2018, 01:53:52 AM »
Looks,great Brian, and the flywheel polished up nicely.  I leave my flywheels alone, filing down any ridges, then paint.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2018, 08:04:55 PM »
I can't even begin to tell you how well these retaining ring inserters work. After years and years of having small retaining rings fly across the room and disappear forever into swarf and cobwebs, this is just like magic. It still takes a certain finesse to load them into the spring loaded jaw of the insertion tool but nothing compared to the old needle nosed pliers trick.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2018, 08:24:02 PM »
Will those tools remove the rings as well?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2018, 08:37:28 PM »
I don't think these tools will remove the clips. I have a scribing tool with a sharp end that will pop them off.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »
It's time to start blowing this thing apart for painting and polishing. Fortunately this is an extremely easy engine to dismantle. I have to buy a new 8" spiral buffing wheel, as my old one is clogged up and difficult to use. I will polish all the brass bits and paint the cast iron cylinder and cylinder head and the aluminum feet. I like the colour of the original flame-eater that inspired this build, so will probably go for the same blue. I'm not going to spend a lot of time prepping for paint. Probably just wipe everything down with laquer thinners to get rid of any grease or oil, then buy a can of Tremclad rattle-can paint to paint it with.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2018, 04:31:24 AM »
Brian,
The new engine looks and runs great! Nuthin like bright shiny flywheel.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
A note to those who are building this engine from my plans--

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »
I got notification by email that my 8" spiral buff and buff rake were shipped out today from Pennsylvania. I'm so sick of making little engines that I could run in circles and bite myself. Our snow is finally gone here, and I took the day to drive up to Bancroft and visit my ancient mother who will be 98 years old in August. Nice day, good visit, nice trip. Once I get this engine painted and polished, I sincerely hope that nothing else catches my fancy until next fall.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
Temperature went nuts today, up to almost 80F. (Wonderful) I hustled my butt down to Canadian Tire and bought a rattle-can of dark blue Tremclad paint, masked off the shiny parts on my flywheels, then set everything up in my main garage and painted it. All of the cast iron is painted now (except the piston which won't see any paint). I've never been a fan of rattle can paintjobs, but for something this size it isn't worth buying separate paint and reducer. I'm quite happy with the colour.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal