Author Topic: Making room when there is none  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Making room when there is none
« on: March 31, 2018, 06:35:14 PM »
Ten years ago when I decided to take up machining as a hobby, I partitioned off an eight foot x seven foot annex of my design office, hung a door on it, and placed my newly purchased lathe and mill and bandsaw in there and had tons of room. Each year the equipment and all it's peripherals have grown--and grown--and grown. The bandsaw was first to go--out to my main garage. Then I needed cupboards, and shelves, and cabinets. My recent purchase of expanding laps left me with a terrible problem. I had no room to store them anywhere.--But wait--What about the area above the top of the mill? It's free space. So, this morning  I raised the head of the mill as high as it would go, then gave an inch of clearance, and made a bridge. Now my laps have a place to live. That top board on the bridge has a 5 degree slope towards the wall to keep things from vibrating off and falling on my head. I won't be putting anything heavy up there. My old head is bald as a cue ball, and shows all the knocks and dings too well.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Making room when there is none
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:12:31 AM »
Brian,
I have to admit that your shop looks cozy. Before I added 8 feet onto the garage my shop was 8 X12 and I thought that was cozy.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:13:38 AM »
Brian, sounds like you need to move south and use some of Zee's new space....  :ROFL:

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
Pleased to see the pictures of your attractive small workshop, Brian:  that looks like a pleasant and well ordered hang-out.  But, where is your bench?!  My shop is a little larger, not big enough though, but I'm well aware of the way that the treasured machines take star billing, and the bench space disappears...   Dave

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
Nicely laid out  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Is that a set of Acrolaps you have purchased?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »
Yes, those are Acrolaps. I don't have a bench in the machine shop--believe it or not, my "bench" is the top of my reference desk where I shoot most of my videos. It is admittedly cozy. I find that there is ample room to do what I need, as long as I don't dance. And I hate it when I'm working on my lathe, back up to admire my work, and goose myself on the mill table handle.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »
Great little shop there, Brian!  Cozy, yes, but everything is within reach!  You don't lose much time by walking from one side of the shop to the other!

Thanks for sharing pictures of your shop with us!
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »
It's a nice and cosy place for making chips  :ThumbsUp: .... and I can see why you should consider a "folding handle" on the mill  ;)

I would probably enjoy making parts there - but I'm using my workshop a repair place for my motorcycles too, so the missing worktable and floor space ruins it for my needs .... but that's just me, so enjoy  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:28:13 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 11:54:02 PM »
As everyone said...nice and cozy. Is there an assembly/work bench somewhere?

Brian, sounds like you need to move south and use some of Zee's new space....  :ROFL:

I saw that Chris. But you know how it goes. No matter how small/big the shop...it gets filled.
Seems like people into these hobbies detest unused space.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline plataman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 04:21:04 AM »
I sure appreciate the good use of space in a small shop. I have a machinist buddy that turns out the most awesome IC engine projects I have ever seen and all in a one car garage shop! His secret is everything is on wheels and stows under shelves or benches when not in use. Nice!

Offline bwal

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:22:24 PM »
Hi,

In the first picture behind the WD40, there's a sprocket and chain.  What's it do?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:36 AM »
Hi,

In the first picture behind the WD40, there's a sprocket and chain.  What's it do?
It hangs on the wall. It was used on an early project that didn't work, so it hangs there until I need a sprocket and chain on something else.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal