Author Topic: Trying to repair a recliner chair gearing - help wanted  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Trying to repair a recliner chair gearing - help wanted
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »
Hi all,

I realise this is widely off topic and if it is inappropriate please delete but I'd be grateful in anyone can offer any advice on a recliner chair I'm trying to repair for an elderly neighbour.

The worm permanently fixed to the motor shaft has sheared off completely, I'm guessing that soldering it is out of the question as I can't separate it from the armature so I did wonder about drilling both parts then Loctite a pin in the centre. The worm drives a nylon gear and it isn't a super precision engagement.

Can anyone offer their thoughts ?

As it stands the repairmen is going to replace the motor and scrap this one so if I do damage this in trying then nothing is lost.

Many thanks  :)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:42:28 PM by Gas_mantle »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Trying to repair a recliner chair gearing - help wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »
It depends very much on how hard the components are, but drilling and pinning is a sensible solution. Use something with a bit of strength like silver steel and an appropriate Loctite or equivalent.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
Thanks Roger.

I'll have a try drilling it tomorrow, according to Youtube hardened steel can be drilled using a masonry bit at low speed with plenty of oil. I've never tried it before but I'm curious to see if it is possible.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:29:47 PM »
I think you might struggle with that one pete, there is not much material in the root of that worm. Looking at the ruler I am guessing the biggest hole might be only 3mm dia.

You might be better chucking the worm away and fitting an extension onto the motor shaft, and then screw cut a new worm onto that, if the cost of replacement is not much then it's probably not going to be an economical repair. But as you said why not have a go and see what is possible anyway.

Phil

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:31:53 AM »
John Stevenson would put the parts between centers and MIG weld it up. A little adjusting in the soft weld area for trueness and yer all set!

Pete

Oh, and if required, wrap a soaking wet rag around the part you want to keep cool...
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »
Thanks Phil,

The minor dia of the worm is about 4mm (its difficult to accurately measure in the threads) I have considered making a new worm, I've never cut threads on my lathe so it would be a good excuse to have a few practise runs on some scrap.

I'm a bit annoyed, the lady is elderly and when she called out a repairman he charged her £45 call out fee to spend 5mins looking at it just to say it needs a new motor at an estimated £150 plus fitting costs. I said to her if the motor is effectively scrap and it doesn't matter if I damage it further then I'll try a repair before paying out for a new motor.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:39:52 AM by Gas_mantle »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:39 AM »
Hi Pete, I do still wonder if I'd get away with soldering without damaging the windings etc. The shaft is thin so it wouldn't take a lot of heat.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 12:51:05 AM »
I don't think I would try soldering. Welding, by electric or gas would be my approach. Hang the thing in a bucket of water while welding and get in hot and quick. Vertical like that will require clamping a bit of angle iron to hold the two in alignment while it is tacked. For that matter, if electric welding you could tack it together on the bench!

Water won't hurt that motor as long as it's completely dried out. Don't blow it with air, that can drive the water deeper. Shake it, towel it, put it in the oven over night at 225*F and it will be good in the morning.

That's my two cents as seen from the freeway.....

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 04:50:40 PM »
I don't have and welding equipment so turned down the motor shaft to take a sleeve then went down the Loctite 638 route.

It gets me annoyed when successive governments carp on about recycling, if they created proper jobs learning how to repairs things I'd take them more seriously. Instead we have repairmen who replace parts at extortionate costs when a repair was possible at a fraction of the cost.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
That looks like it just may work!!  Unfortunately you are right on regarding repairs/recycling...we are becoming more and more a throw away society  :ShakeHead:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »
Nice repair - hope it works out for the neighbor!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
Nicely done! Please let us know how well it worked...

:cheers:

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
Thanks guys,

I've put it all back together and the chair works fine, the Loctite achieved what appeared to be a strong bond.

The worm drives a large nylon gear connected to a long threaded rod that extends and retracts the lifting mechanism so with effectively 2 worm drives separating the motor from the load I don't think the shaft will be under excessive stresses  :)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
Well done Peter, make sure the 638 has had the full 24 hours of hardening before the motor is used so it is up to full strength.

That looks like it just may work!!  Unfortunately you are right on regarding repairs/recycling...we are becoming more and more a throw away society  :ShakeHead:

Model engineers on the other hand look at fixing things as a fun activity for the afternoon (which saves money for more castings :pinkelephant: )

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »
Model engineers on the other hand look at fixing things as a fun activity for the afternoon (which saves money for more castings :pinkelephant: )

Jo

I'm not normally a member of the casting fondling fraternity but I'm thinking of treating myself shortly. I have the barstock Stuart 10v replica to start on next then maybe a casting kit :-)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
Good job on the repair Pete, its nice when you can help someone in need.

Phil

P.S.
I take it you are coming to the club auction on Wednesday, Martin will be picking you up as far as I know, so see you there.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »
Thanks, yes I'll be at the auction to buy my usual supply of junk  ;D

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 12:44:39 AM »
Hi Pete,
 Nice fix!

I agree we have gone from have repairman to over priced replacement parts installers! The former used to have over priced parts if required, the latter seem to have no parts & they are on a slow boat & still over priced!!

Down this end of the world the retirement industry has expanded hugely, due to the ladies living longer than the guys, these places have lots for the ladies to do but not the guys. A friend, now in the big shop above, pushed for some space to establish his workshop, as the garage was too small. He found some like minded guys also wanting a workshop space, so management reluctantly found them a basement area to play in. Then one day the management was grumbling about getting service people to fix things, the guys said well have a go......job done! Management suddenly discovered that they had an onsite service department that was very cheep!!

The other thing that's growing here is Mens (& some ladys too) Community Sheds. These friendly folk are usually happy to look at a job & help out if they can

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
RE repairers only replace.

Over ten years ago I was working with an old-school tech on a project and he was telling me how he was involved in setting up a curriculum for electronic tech at a local school. I was using my vague memories of the formulas I had to learn back in 1960s high school courses to keep the conversation going when he just said (in a regretful way) "We don't cover that anymore: We don't teach much electronics in Electronics any more."

Another tech friend of mine took a certification test to qualify for repairing (name with-held) equipment and told me it was mostly about answering questions on malfunctions with what part numbers to order. NOT about troubleshooting or solving complicated problems.

It's all so sad.

ShopShoe

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
Thanks guys,

I wonder if to some extent the reason we throw things away rather than repair nowadays is that technology advances so quickly that in a lot of cases something 5 yrs old is out of date and an 'improved' super duper version is on the market.

I guess fashion trends and peer pressure (particularly on the young) mean people often want the latest model even if there is nothing wrong with the item they have or a repair would be an easy task.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »
Another part is how things are designed to be assembled once, can't be taken apart without damage, since its another millipenny per unit cheaper to make. And, each year's model is farmed out to a different job shop factory with different designs they want to use, and no one will stock parts inventory.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 03:05:39 PM »
What i hate is 1 triangular screw driver screw amongst the neighbouring 5 phillips screws !!!! :cheers: >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Willy.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal