Author Topic: Replacable insert parting tool  (Read 4415 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Replacable insert parting tool
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 01:32:02 PM »
I'd don't seem to have much trouble with the "rubbish holders, this is 40mm dia steel :embarassed:

I did by one of teh ARC blocks like in your link Peter but have not tried it yet. For larger stuff I tend to use a 2mm blade much the same a Rogers but from Glanze, medium parting I use one of the MGEH holders from ARC ythough most of te htime that seems to have  around ended tip in it which is good for small internal fillets so does not get used so much for parting.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Lathe-Turning-Tools-Indexable/ARC-Indexable-Turning-Tools/ARC-MGEH-Parting-Grooving-Tool-Holders.

Small parting and grooving I use the Mini-thin

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »
Hi Jason,

As I say I think a lot of my trouble is technique   :(

I've just checked and the tool I have isn't marked Arceuro so in fairness to them I may have bought it from elsewhere and it may be a poorer version of the same style. The one I have seems to have a poorly machined holder and the geometry is a bit suspect - it has a sloppy feel so that it is difficult to get the blade sitting properly upright.

I'm off out in a min for some of this  :DrinkPint: but I'll try to take a pic of the holder later

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 05:02:12 PM »
I'd don't seem to have much trouble with the "rubbish holders, this is 40mm dia steel :embarassed:

Hi Jason

Good for you!

Well, I call them rubbish because of the following:
1. bad experience (probably the main reason  ::) )
2. The blade is supported until the front of the holder but not clamped there. So if it springs back up (after being bent down - just how it happens when chattering), it can lift off from the supporting surface and I think this is what causes that supporting surface to wear until it is lower than the blade.
3. That sheet metal piece which holds the blade down does have a good surface contact to the blade, only on some points which also reduces the sturdiness of the setup.

Peter; how is the tip of your tool shaped? They usually work way better if you grind a rake angle on the cutting edge. The downside is you will then need to adjust the height after regrinding.

Florian

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »
Florian, I'll try to take a few photos later, I have a few blades most of which have been reground by myself and some work better than others.

I do prefer the cutting edge parallel to the work though - I did try grinding a slight angle but found it tried to bend the blade.

One thing that does help is power cross feed - now I have it I couldn't be without it  :)

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
These are my two previous parting tools. The smaller one was from RC Machines in Luxembourg and originally had a folded sheet metal clamp which I replaced with a solid one. I grind a little top rake on this one and generally use it for Aluminium.
The larger one is from one of the UK suppliers, probably ARC or Chronos. I grind this by plunging into the wheel and don't use any top rake. The piece was broken off the bottom due to a crash when I forgot to tighten the tool holder  :facepalm:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal