Author Topic: Lathe collets.  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Lathe collets.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
All those lovely shiny new Chinese lathes resting on the sea bed  :(

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
May they rust in peace.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »
May they rust in peace.

Mike

Arggh that is dreadful  :D

I once worked at a factory making Chinese typewriters, the job was lousy but there were plenty of characters.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 03:47:38 PM »

P.S. I just brought a set of those Chinese chip fat covered ER32's for drill holding  :-X

Hope they were not on this slow boat from China :-[

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5521901/Two-huge-ships-collide-knocking-containers-sea.html
Hmmm - it was a German ship, but did not see any DHL labels - wonder if they will announce another KFC chicken shortage...!

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
I have the full (metric) ER32 set from Arc and a range of chucks for the lathe, tailstock and mill. They seem fine, grip well and have remained concentric & axial (which essentially covers my complete requirement set for collets). I have the ER32 myford collet chuck which RDG sell - it comes in two parts so you can mount the backplate, turn the spigot concentric and then bolt the collet chuck on to get the best concentricity. I did this with the compound laid over to about 80 degrees so I could take extremely fine cuts, and the resulting spigot fit is as near perfect as I've ever achieved. I have some 10mm PGMS bar, and when I hold that in a 10mm collet in that ER chuck  I get no measurable runout on any of my DTIs, so I'm quite happy.

As far as I'm concerned the big advantage of the ERs is,as Jason alluded, that they are spring collets which cover a range of diameters rather than fixed collets that essentially only work for the specific size. So if you bought 5C collets in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 &10mm sizes you could grip bar that was 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or 10mm diameter. But if you wanted to hold 1/8", 1/4", 10-swg or even just 5.5mm bar you'd have to go and buy the specific collet in that size. But if you bought the set of ER32 collets (2-20mm) you could hold ANY diameter between 2mm and 20mm. So you don't need a separate inferial set - you can hold 1/8" or 10swg in the 3.5mm collet and 1/4" in the 7mm, and if you need to hold 5.5mm bar you just use a 6mm collet. One set fits all!

OK, so they don't do square or hex collets, but if you want those covered you need to buy 'kin thousands of them because you need them in the exact sizes that your square or hex bar comes in...

AS

(ER and proud of it!)
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
Thanks Alan, I have bought individual collets from Arceuro to supplement my ER25 milling set and I thought they seem to do a decent job. I cant really see me damaging them so I'm inclined to think of them as a one off purchase.

I like the idea of having full set to accept any dia up to 20mm

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
And with oversize ER 32 collets you can hold even bigger, handy for 24mm pistons.

As I Use as many metric cutters as I do metric I also have the smaller range of imperial ER32 as it is easier than closing metric ones right down.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 08:25:07 PM »
How do you manage to hold larger than 20mm ?

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
You buy oversize collets, most just do 2-20mm but you can get them from 1mm to 25mm though they cost a little more

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gloster-ER32-collet-all-sizes-2-0-25-0mm-and-1-NEW-DIN6499B-Quality-collets/370688002673?hash=item564eba0a71:m:m4t3vWF5JQmaiN5nqZZjYSg

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
You buy oversize collets, most just do 2-20mm but you can get them from 1mm to 25mm though they cost a little more

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gloster-ER32-collet-all-sizes-2-0-25-0mm-and-1-NEW-DIN6499B-Quality-collets/370688002673?hash=item564eba0a71:m:m4t3vWF5JQmaiN5nqZZjYSg

Thanks that could prove useful  :)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 09:35:13 PM »
Gloster Tooling are a very good source of equipment. I use them a lot

In addition to oversize ER32 collets they do some nice oversize ER25 collets.

The normal ER25 range stops at 16mm, Gloster offer oversize collets up to 20mm.

They may be a useful way to extend your existing ER25 capacity

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »
Hm. I'm wondering if my aircraft drill bits were on that ship. Got a notice that the vendor hadn't received them as expected and it would be a while longer before my order was filled.
Bummer.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
The Chinese chip fat coated  collets have turned up. Initial evaluation: harness test rub with a Valorbe file shows they about the same hardness as the collet Jason gave me that came from his preferred supplier  ::)  The same test carried out on a European collet results in a completely different hardness sound/feel  :)

The other criticisms are that the slotting depth for the rear contraction slots are all over the place  :ShakeHead: No two collets seem to have the slots to the same depth when you look on the front face - A European manufacturer would have rejected these on grounds of that being an indication of inconsistent quality. And don't get me on why they have at least 3 different numbering fonts.

As I said Chinese collets are value for money. Time to remove the rancid chip fat  :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »
Jo

I am afraid the saying “they are worth what you paid for them “ or caveat emptor

My take on the eastern imports is they have enabled a lot of people to get into the hobby , not all have the cash to spend, or the space to acomadate the ex industrial machines

Yes I do have two eastern mills and a UK lathe , were they all perfect no, the sx3 has been rebuilt ground up as it was not as I would like it to be , but it’s ok now , the concern mill has the head nod that the all have its only 0.05 mm , shows up as backlash when setting z with my tshorn taster

As to collets I have a set of mm   5c .   And a lathe chuck easier to use as you don’t need the large torque tighten them ( look at the specs for a er40) and collet blocks to suit , but the collets are not import ones expensive yes hard yes

Stuart

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »
Hi Jo, I'm getting confused are these the £21 set of ebay ? Are you comparing them to the Arceuro £87 set ?

I'm expecting a set of collets to be a one off purchase that will last so I'd rather pay a bit more to get decent ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal