Author Topic: Morgan Three Wheeler  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Morgan Three Wheeler
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »
It is all relative don't trust a car driver in a three wheeler .... you do have a motor cycle license so understand these things don't you  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »
If he had put in a bit of right hand lock it would have sorted it out

Well to please Jo I do still hold a full lic. Inc the motor cycle part , now a blast from my distance past my first none two wheeled transport ( could not have the YL getting wet and cold ) was a BMW fitted with a 300cc BMW engine same layout as a Morgan but the door was at the front and it did have reverse gear

Wish we still had it as they go for good money
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 08:17:21 AM »
A friend of mine had one of those BMW bubble cars. The brakes were poor, so he 'fixed' them. He then discovered another instability of a tiny three wheeler. He applied the 'fixed' brakes hard, when going down a steep hill, the bubble car pitched over forward and rolled to the bottom of the hill. My friend, Paul, was not wearing a seatbelt and spent the next few months in hospital with a broken pelvis. He said it was like an egg in a shoe box.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline michaelr

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »
The pictures I posted of the model three wheeler Morgan has really stirred up some good motoring stories, I'm enjoying them all.

Mike.

Offline RayW

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
Many years ago I was following a Robin Reliant three wheeler down a long hill when it clipped the kerb, shot across the road and through a hedge. When I, and several others got there, we found a rather bewildered elderly lady sitting in a pile of shattered fibreglass, fortunately without serious injury. About all that remained intact from the car was the chassis and engine.

Ray
Ray

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
Many years ago I was given the mechanical parts from a bubble car (Heinkel Trojan)
I was still at school at the time, but I made my dad a car trailer out of the front axle, and myself a motorcycle with engine part.
It was 200cc from memory and it pulled wheelies with ease, the reverse gear was good fun for catching peple out who wanted a go on it  ;D

The main frame tubes were from our traction engine boiler, the front end was an LE Vellocette recovered from the local tip, ( this was in the 1960's )
My parents were adamant that I was not buying a motorbike so I cobbled this together one afternoon when they were out.

Phil
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:16:52 PM by pgp001 »

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 04:02:33 PM »
FYI

For Morgan Fans:

(And Sorry for the Ads you have to watch first…)

New

http://www.kcci.com/article/around-the-us-in-80-days-in-an-unusual-british-sports-car/20874988

And Old

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcITHevPrc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcITHevPrc</a>

—ShopShoe

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 05:02:24 PM »
Hello.

My first memories of being in a motor car were of the tonneau flapping around my ears as dad drove his last Morgan F 4. Sadly my sisters arrival made it unpractical.

His first Morgan 3 wheeler was powered by an Anzani " V " twin with magneto ignition and no electric start.
No reverse gear either. Apparently you pushed the car forward from outside and then jumped over into the seat to " bump " start it.

He played with many Morgan's through the nineteen fifties, met Peter on many occasions when the
 " works " carried out certain tweaks to his design for the hill climb events he participated in.

Dad said the only vehicle on the road that could keep up with his Super Sport was the Ford V 8 Pilot, but that was on the straights.... Nothing could be seen in his rear view mirror once a bend in the road appeared!!

Don't forget, you sit " in " a Morgan not " on " it.

Cheers Graham.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »
I looked after 4 or 5 Isetta bubble cars.  Rebuilt the engines etc.  Still have a spare gearboxand genuine BMW manual for one.  Perhaps I should try putting them on Ebay.

Remember my mate breaking down one evening in a really upmarket area on his way from Midlands to High Wycombe.  He called me out and I drove down in my Anglia 105E.  We slept in my car overnight and next morning I stripped the engine down at the side of the road.  After a few hours I had it working, but throughout the morning we had breakfast brought out to us and numerous cups of tea.  I do not think the locals had ever seen a Bubble car let alone the engine in bits at the side of the road.

I used to keep a spare bodyshell and chassis on the roof of my dads garage, spare engines, gearboxes in the loft.

Colin

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 02:27:05 AM »
All I can add is the engines for Morgan's new 3 wheeler's are made here in south west Wisconsin. And at work we have rebuilt quite a few rear shocks for the 4 wheelers.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »
A very nice man  :) has provided a few more details about the original model that started this thread:

It was built by a gentleman named Jimmy Mc Neil from measurements taken from a full sized car that is still raced and used for hill climbing  :ThumbsUp: Transmission was via a centrifugal clutch and it went like stink eventually the engine was disabled an electric motor was used to make it more controllable 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline michaelr

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »
Jo, I had a thought you may delve a bit deeper into the Morgan model, when I took that picture the owner was no where about in the model tent, I would have liked a chat with him about his model, thanks to you I now know a little more about the model.

Mike.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
On the full sized Morgan they used whatever engines they could get hold of one of the best in my opinion was the JAP  vee twin ( James A Preswick ) not the far off land very much Uk

The very early ones ha open valve gear and ran on castor oil no need for brillcream. /sp  , cloths peg valve springs

The later ones had had covered valve gear but still oiled well

They were fun to drive with the throttle on the steering wheel like the choke and advance/retard levers on British bikes , the throttle stayed put none of this self closing stuff

The SS was Pretty quick in race trim , they banned them from completing against the jags of that era reason they beat them in the twisty bits

Great cars and they sure did sound good on full chat

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal