Author Topic: 1/8th scale steam locomotive "cab ride"  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
1/8th scale steam locomotive "cab ride"
« on: April 29, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »
Not exactly a show, but our live steam club here in Central North Carolina has a spring and fall run when our members, some from as far away as Michigan and Florida, gather for a few days of catching up friendships and getting a chance to run their locomotives on our nearly two miles of club track.

This is a 7 1/2 inch (1/8th scale) railroad.  This spring, I took a video of my 10-wheeler pulling it's consist up the 1/2 mile grade on the railroad and thought I'd share it with you.  It was a beautiful day and in this video you get to see some of our lovely North Carolina countryside (mostly North Carolina woods) and a good view of a portion of the railroad.  Even at 1/8th scale, the "stack talk" is music to my ears.  I could just yank the throttle out and charge up the hill, but whats the fun in that?  I'd rather hear the locomotive "work".

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOavumTa4uA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOavumTa4uA</a>
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 1/8th scale steam locomotive "cab ride"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
What a beautiful setting Craig. How nice it must be to take it the Springtime and listen to the sounds of the locomotive at the same time. Thanks for posting this!!!

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
Wow, love listening to the engine working! Now that is some track! How long is it?
Gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 01:51:54 PM »
George, the railroad is comprised (loosly) of two loops, one inside the other.  If you run both loops the distance is nearly two miles.  At a decent running speed it takes around 45 minutes to cover both loops.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
Amazing. Thanks for posting that. That has to be an awesome ride. The scenery is stunning.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 02:40:06 PM »
Do you ever come to the CSP&P track in Canton, GA? I'm a member there.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »
Hi Craig,
 What a stunning track! My home club track is a bit over 200 meters....Im very jealous!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
Thank you for your comments. We've been building the R/R for 25 years.  Unfortunately the R/R's days are numbered as the property will be annexed by the town of Apex and sold in a few years.

Kvom.  Hanen't been to your R/R.  We don't stray far from home.
Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal