Author Topic: New Project Mill Engine  (Read 9610 times)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: New Project Mill Engine
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 03:21:08 AM »
can you open the jaws of your chuck inside the rim, and do the outside and a face that way, 4 jaw would be best, but three jaw with some packing to get it to run concentric is ok.. Then it's a case of how slow you can go.
Ian S C

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
the holding position is much too distant from the working point, chatter and noise are the rule.
You have to hold the flywheel by the rim...to turn the rim !
as said above, on a faceplate or a large mandrel from the inside of the rim.
A very sharp HSS tool would remove these chatter marks on the piece, I guess.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »
Thank you gents for your comments. I will try my 4 jaw first and if it won't "reach" then mdf on a face plate.  Thanks again.         Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »
The 4 jaw had just enough reach and I am happy with the result. Thanks again for the sound advice. I had a spare minute today so had a play to produce a pair of "slippers" or crossheads  for the wrist pin. Simple little excercise as you can see.   
When building the Burrell it always seemed that the shop / machines was too small.   Now that I am on smaller stuff it all seems too big :facepalm2:  With that in mind I have dug out an old compound table that has been long out of use.  I intend to buy or make a small vice and use it on the drill press.     Terry

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »
Looking great Terry, I'm wanting to build a biggish steam engine later in the year so I'm following along with interest.

As for the RDG wheel I used one on my grasshopper engine and found it to fine once machined, they are certainly worth the price  :)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »
terry I mentioned aboyt some pics of making a horizontal cylinder in another thread, these may be of use.

Cylinder once again from hollow bronze, spigots on end and this time decorative bands

Bands make it hard to fit a curved valve block so mill cylinder flat

Pockets for cyl support legs

Valve block with passages milled in, then  valve face to length and dry fit

Solder up and once clean you can treat it as an accurate casting and just skim the faces and bore to finish size

No silly angle drilling of passages needed just open up the flange

Job Done

j

PS I won't need to show you how to do the cross heads but the engine with this cykinder I did very similar :)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Thanks Jason......masterclass!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 01:04:39 PM »
Excellent work!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
A bit more progress...I am enjoying the make-it-up-as-you go system :)    I thought it best to mill the radius on the crosshead as so many of you do.   bit of a learning curve as not done it before.  Happy with the result but a long time to set up. I feel that my normal system of filing would have done as well. Part is drilled undersize  ready to ream for piston rod. I then need to cut taper slot for cotter. Having fun on small parts after the big Burrell :cartwheel:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »
That looks great!
Now that you have done the setup for the rounding-over once, bet it goes quicker next time. For small parts I still tend to use the file or sanding belt, but the mill does a very even job.
 :popcorn:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
Well done!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »
I've been sidetracked a lot lately... trips to the Vet's with a very poorly dog :(   And taking a grandaughter and two of her class mates to their Prom do in boss's Model T that I restored a few years back :), and sorting a trailer for the completed Burrell  (video of it running on my Burrell thread)

Back in the shed I decided to have a go at the con-rod.  ...not a lot to describe...pictures should show how. (sorry about picture quality)

Terry

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
Hi Terry,

This is a wonderful thread.

You are very skillful with both metal and the camera!  :ThumbsUp:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
John..you flatter..but thank you for the encouragement.       Made a start fabricating the "cast" base. I had a lot of black strip left over, bought for Burrell strakes but not used. so why not use that.  It is just simple sawing and filing with a bit of milling and welding.  The finished lump will require filling to make the fillets, etc.   Willy's approach is much better but I had already cut metal when I saw his thread so carried on ::)  The variety of ways to achieve similar ends is what makes this forum great. If there is anyone watching whose pocket doesn't allow expensive castings then I hope this may be useful.    Terry

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:27 PM »
Wonderful fabricating Terry. The silver soldering on the cylinder looks great.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal