Author Topic: New Project Mill Engine  (Read 9603 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: New Project Mill Engine
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
As the ring on the end of the valve rod is not sitting concentric to the ends of the clevis it does look like the wedge is just there to take up slack.

The guide for the valve rod you see on quite a few engines so quite probably original, they come in several forms but all do the same job of stopping and thrust from the eccentric pushing the valve rod sideways.

Cap on the end could also suggest the piston had a tail rod at some time or was a common casting used on other engines, or more likely same casting used either end of this ones cylinder.

Offline john mills

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »
I don't see any thing unusuall  the full size werner ammonia compressor i will be running tomorrow and following 2 days has a similar arrangement on the driving steam engine side but the small end of the wedge is at the top and is threaded so the nut sits on conical shaped spacer.
may be the original has been replaced with a simper plain wedge upside down so it cannot fallout.

Offline john mills

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:19 AM »
looks like it is up side down the nick at the edge on the werner it is an oil hole on the top the block is flush with
the rest of the forked vale rod fitting.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
I'm leaning toward "make do" maintenance, sort of like nails for cotterpins?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »
I must admit I had decided that it was "bodgit" engineering ::) Today I visited a friend who is an authority on steam and a highly respected, experienced engineer. He was surprised that I was querying the arrangement and said it was very common, but more usual on water pump rods. He even showed  me such an arrangement on an Aveling roller that was in the shop!   I still think it unlikely that I will put in on the model.

Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 03:59:49 PM »
Flywheel casting arrived today....I've seen better. I think a lot of fondling...sorry Fettling will be required on this when I eventually get started.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 04:06:54 PM »
That fly wheel looks like it bounced off the reject bin....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »
Quite :(

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
As long as it's good on the inside (no voids, etc.) there could still be quite a nice flywheel hiding within. Don't give up on it too soon.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
For the price they charge for them the RDG flywheels are very good value for money, I usually try to pick out the best of the bunch from a show where you can look through each one and decide what is the best. Also if you are not into bling then a painted flywheel rim and separate bright pully is quiet acceptable.

They do finish up quite nicely when you get a good one

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »
All very encouraging....thanks Guys

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
I have started to tidy up the flywheel, it only just fits on the lathe!  also made a start on the slide bars. I'm just trickling along doing a bit when the mood takes me ::)     Quite busy on other things at present........Two family house moves for a start..at least I'm not expected to carry furniture  anymore :old:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »
More progress on the slidebars... made one of the top ones, a pleasant little milling job. Hopefully may find the time for the other one this weekend.  When I made the lower bars I was still in "traction engine" mode. I machined the crosshead "run-outs" full width :facepalm: They should in fact act as oil reservoirs with closed sides. I may remake  :thinking:............unlikely              Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
Just a piccy of the 2nd slidebar being milled, all straightforward.     But I'm having trouble with the flywheel...Lowest back gear speed, minimum tool overhang and tailstock support. I am getting a very rough "chatter" finish.  I suspect that the old Atlas is on it's limits and I need to use the big lathe at work.    Apologies for poor pics.      Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:36 PM »
The spokes are quite spindly on that 10" Clarkson flywheel so the rim is likely flexing, can you get it onto a faceplate ? Probably need a ply or MDF disc to take it out to size

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal