Author Topic: New Project Mill Engine  (Read 9604 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: New Project Mill Engine
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
Thank you, but the cylinder on this thread is by Jason giving me a masterclass on how to make one!!  Not made mine yet......Terry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2018, 04:01:36 PM »
That should do nicely. Good job on the fabrication.

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
Hi Terry,   looking good....i have now finished my base with lots of attempts with the filler !! :popcorn: :popcorn:  Now it is painted i can relax a bit !

Willy

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »
A little TOO freelance..............1        Picture the part in your mind.  (in this case main bearing housing)
                                             2        Make rough sketch with some basic dimensions.
                                             3        Mark out on some stock bar.
                                             4        Hacksaw and tidy up with mill.
                                             5        Drill, tap, make studs and assemble.
                                             6        Realise no allowance made for thickness of bearing brass so not enough metal in cap. :facepalm:
                                             7        Bin it, make new sketch with ALL dimensions and make another one. :Doh: :Doh: :cussing:

What a plonker :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »
 :wallbang:

First one was to practice procedures. Yeah, thats it...

Second times the charm!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »
I have been busy of late and had no spare shed time to progress the little mill engine.   Main job has been fettling and running the Burrell. I have at last got it road registered and running grand. I was disappointed at first, but now everything has bedded in I am thrilled to bits :whoohoo: It is a joy to drive.         Anyway ,  back to topic......An unusual?? method of making the crank disc.  I had no bar suitable so did what you see in the pics. I have since pinned the disc to the shaft and the crankpin has been screwed in tight and it's end peened over. Not pretty at this stage but will improve with paint.  (not trying to copy Willy's lovely engine, but mine will be maroon.........left over from the Burrell ::)

Regards to all              Terry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »
A bit unusual perhaps, but I like the looks of it Terry. :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
My workshop time has stopped, mainly due to helping my wife with her very busy on-line shop. On the engine I have filled the base fillet and primed, etc. I decided to lightly flycut the top surface to make sure it was properly flat. Unfortunately the cutter moved slightly in it's holder unnoticed my me until too late :Mad:     It has been scrapped.      Although initially I enjoyed the "freelance"" approach I now realise that my heart wasn't in it and I was making something that I was not proud of.  My plan is to get on my drawing board (not CAD) and design the thing correctly with all dimensions then start again. Short term the Burrell needs a bit of winter TLC if I can fit it in.  Next year when my wife's Xmas rush is over I shall get  going again. Meantime I continue to enjoy and be inspired by all the projects on this great Forum.       Bye for now and Best Wishes       Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal