Author Topic: New Project?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
New Project?
« on: March 02, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
Having finished my "big" traction engine and "retired" from big stuff I'm weighing up a small engine project. Has anyone experience of Anthony Mount's Bodmer's sliding cylinder engine?  It looks different enough to be interesting, but am I up to it :headscratch: :old:

Terry

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: New Project?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 04:48:53 AM »
Hi Terry, a member of our German forum has build one. At his homepage are a lot of pictures about the details.

http://dampfundmehr.de/menu/bodmer

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
Thank you Achim,   That sure is a BEAUTIFULLY made model. I think it may be beyond my skills at present,  it looks far more complex than I expected......going to have to settle for a basic horizontal slide valve engine for now. Bodmers may be one to aspire to when I get more practice. My big Burrell needed to be made accurately but the odd thou out here and there was  OK :-[ Small engines are a whole new ball game.
Thanks again for your very useful reply........................Terry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 12:38:09 PM »
I can see why it interests you Terry after seeing the pictures and videos in Achim's link. Certainly a unique model with both visual and mechanical appeal!!

Bill

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
What a superbly well made engine, beautifully finished and presented.  In action it must be one of the most intriguing steam models to watch:  certainly, of any design that has been made commercially available.  A quite long and complex project, but a most attractive proposition!     Dave

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 04:18:06 PM »
looking through the catalogue of Anthony Mount's engines, I have to say it is an impressive array of interesting and attractive engines.  Several I'd like to have a go at.  Prices seem, well, not completely stratospheric - the Bodmer is the same as a Stuart 7a for example.  (price of castings overall seems crazy to me, I suppose that is my issue).

Can anyone comment on the quality of the castings and drawings?

oh, here's a link to the catalogue with prices  http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/bruce-engineering/docs/Catalogue-jan-2018.pdf

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »
Anthony's engines are normally very well drawn up (there is sometimes the odd dimension error  :-\ ) but he does make all of the engines and build articles are published in EIM or ME around the time the castings originally came on the market.

Castings: The ones originally sold by Bruce Engineering and subsequently Polly Wobbles have castings that have machining allowance. The other supplier of castings for Anthony's engine designs are notorious for undersized castings and will not provide spares if you mess one up  :rant:

Yes casting prices have gone silly in the UK blame Elf and safety  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
The other supplier of castings for Anthony's engine designs are notorious for undersized castings

unsavory types using the OEM as a pattern? 

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
Yes they supply lost wax parts made using that technique and undersized water jetted parts in their rather expensive sets.

One of the reasons we see less of Anthony at shows he doesn't want the  :stickpoke: grief from the model makers

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
Sounds like another example of how counterfeiting hurts all.  Too bad, and thanks for the info - If I can add a set or two to the pile I will order from Polly's

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
I have bilt a few of his engines and found there is room for making some of the cast items from bar stock to give a more authentic look to his engines ...consequently i have quite a few lonely spare castings awaiting some love and affection (fondeling) ! his last drawings of his Ferrabee engine in ME were very pixallated but if you got on the website they have been uploaded correctly .  Yes he has put a lot of effort into these casting sets and one can get replacements...I once thought of making a twin cylinder Mconie engine !!! all in all 110%

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »
Antony makes quite a few of the original parts without castings and with a bit of thinking most can be done without them, Jo has done two without castings and I have also done two different ones. The added bonus is that you can make them to a size that suit suits you and add the extra detail that was left out to make for easier casting and keep production costs down.

J

Edit, Willy beat me to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal