Author Topic: Milling Machine Vise  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Jack

Milling Machine Vise
« on: March 02, 2018, 09:52:07 PM »
Hello Everyone

I wanted (Needed) a new vise for my Bridgeport Mill so I did some shopping at all of the usual places. I decided on a KURT Dx6 because I Didn't want a Chinese Copy of a vise I wanted a good one.

MSC wanted full MSRP and won't budge since they bought ENCO so I checked Amazon and was able to find it about $50 off but then I found JERICO TOOLS on the internet and was able to get it shipped free and no sales tax (because I don't live in Illinois) at a very attractive price .
This thing is a beautiful piece of precision tooling, smooth as silk and I and very happy.

Jack

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Milling Machine Vise
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »
they are great aren't they?   I agree its an area not to scrimp. 

I had to buy a couple of them a few years ago at the day time gig, and 100% agree about shopping around.  What I found is the really small industrial suppliers can give great pricing.  An employee at the call centre or even the counter has limited latitude, but when dealing with the owner/operator, 50 or 100 bucks contribution might be fine.  The don't stock them and have minimal overhead so its found money vs the business going elsewhere.    I think I was down to or under 500 each and thats CDN, but it was about 3 years ago.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »
Congrats on the new addition Jack. You will be well pleased with it and it should last a lifetime for the things we do.

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:11:18 AM »
Nice ! Can't beat Kurt overall for the price.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 02:06:57 AM »
Check out Glacern tool    good stuff.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 05:06:48 AM »
Today I wanted to purchase one of those little spinner handles for my new vise, I found some on the internet around $22 and some change, but most wanted $8 to $10 to ship it.

So I looked in my junk box and found an old handle that I salvaged off of some old piece of machinery and bought a 3/4" socket, then bored the center hub and pressed in the socket along with some Locktite and a 1/4-20 set screw, and presto I have a spinner handle.

Why buy something for thirty dollars when you can make it yourself, all you need is thousands of dollars of machinery and a pile of junk and some time. Isn't that what we have machines for!!!!

Jack

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
That should work well Jack, and if you ever need to really crank down on something, you can always put the socket driver handle in the square of the socket and torque it down good!! I agree though that the handles supplied are rather gangly and aren't suited at all to leaving them on the vise.

Bill

Offline Jack

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
Thanks Bill
I do have the furnished handle very close by if I really need to crank down on a part but if you have ever had on of the big floppy handles fall and land on your foot you will know why I had to do something. I put a little disk on the end of the shaft where the knee crank goes because it was always falling on the floor.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal