Author Topic: 10% sales tax and now this...  (Read 7566 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: 10% sales tax and now this...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »
I couldn't break $2 to fill my tank.
But that was during the 'gas wars' when gas was 9 to 11 cents a gallon.
A stupid time...but a great time.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
9 to 11 cents?  Wow you must be OLD  :old:

My first gas purchases of my first car were a pricey 36 cents per gallon.  But gas was particularly cheap at that station, no doubt because it was mostly water.  My VW Bug didn't seem to mind though.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
9 to 11 cents?  Wow you must be OLD  :old:

Getting there.
1969-1970 during high school. As I said...a stupid time...but a great time.  :Lol:
I don't know if the gas wars were local, state-wide or across the nation.

I was driving a 65 VW Beetle at the time. I do miss that car.
6V system. Had to add a bump-up converter to play my 8-track.
Then tied a pencil to the 8-track's solenoid cause there wasn't enough power to change tracks if I was driving slow.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
Wasn't those days great, you could take your girlfriend out on the town put $5.00 wourth of gas in your car drive all night long and still have money in your pocket.
Carl I had an 8 track tape in my car also. We had mag wheels on the car and 8 track tapes, what a time we had. Take your girl to the nearest drive in and talk to the gang, or go to the drive in picture show.

Now all we have is high price of gas and taxes that just don't quite,and they want to tax us some more.
Power companies don't take losses, phone companies don't talk losses, insurances companies don't take losses. Now Banks don't take losses and corporations don't take losses. They pass it down to us. Where will it end. Seems all the Politications want to do now days is spend our money or take it. Then raise taxes to get more from us.
 :Mad:  :cussing:

Don

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 02:33:58 AM »
Back to the good old days.

Gas      $.25 /gal
Milk      $.99 /gal
Beer   $1.99 / case
McDonald's  3 course meal $ .45   hamburger  $.15  milkshake $.15  fries  $.15
Rent   $200 /mo
Air Conditioning - Ha Ha Ha . . . . Ho ho Ho...
TV        3 channels black and white
Football   One League NFL
Baseball  Two league  16 teams
New Car  $2,200
Movies Ticket    $ .30  Local   $1 downtown  popcorn $.10
Annual salary  $5,500

Making ends meet was still tough and there wasn't as much fun to be had.  I can remember serving frozen Kool-Ade to guests.  My generation was the first to escape the dread of Polio but I didn't away free. One year in bed when I was 5/6 yrs old.  I was living within sight of the Pentagon during the Cuban missile crisis, and I was living in Greensboro NC when some kids from A&T made national headlines and brought out the National Guard by sitting at the counter in Woolworth's and ordering a coke.  I was pulled over on an Interstate Hwy in South Carolina, after midnight, by a State Trooper because my company car had District of Columbia tags and he just wanted to know if I was a "Government man."  Fortunately it was in a rural county where my ancestors had owned property and were farmers for over 200 years and my unusual last name is on a lot of street signs and is still recognized as local.

All in all, life is a lot easier today for me, and my kids, and my grand kids, and my great grand kids than it was 60 years ago.  The world is a lot safer place and the future is just as bright if not brighter.   I truly do not mind paying my fair share.

Jerry

NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal