Author Topic: Hauser Jig Borer  (Read 10306 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Hauser Jig Borer
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 12:20:26 AM »
A lovely machine , I did miss a BCA jig borer recently by 45 mins........but did get 35 volumes of model engineer from Vol 1  1898.....to 1918..........

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 03:35:53 AM »
that looks like a great machine, I agree with 'just buy it'.  Getting a bunch of collets is a treat....over here its rare to see metric cutters, probably the opposite there.  I think I got two collets with mine.

The motor looks like the geared version?  I took mine off and replaced it with a DC motor so I could have low and high speeds.  Currently I'm making an ER based spindle for it, more flexibility.

I see an F1 in the background.....that would be another nice one to find its way to your shop.  I picked one up before Christmas, still in pieces, spindle bearing problems :(
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:14:49 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
McGyver,

I wondered if anyone would spot the F1 in the background.  I in fact brought a F12 of the same guy.  The F1 and F12 used to be owned by same person, my friend bought the F12 of him and rebuilt the spindle and used it for making clock gears, he then had chance to buy the F1 and so I took the F12 off him.  Have a reasonable set of collets for it. and gradually accumulating other bits.  I also have a Chester Super Lux Mill, Excel Surface grinder, Cowells Mill and ME90 lathe, Myford S7 (with g/box and powered cross-slide) and Myford 7, Corbetts XL 7" shaper, pillar drill, bench drill, and a Colchester Student lathe.  Guillotine, folder and flypresses also take a lot of space.  Space is becoming a problem but working on it.

It is not the geared head motor, it is a 3phase  2 speed.  There is a knob on RHS which has central off position and turns left or right to run slow or fast as necessary.  Luckily I have 3-phase in my workshop.

I did see you were making an ER based spindle for yours.
Colin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:53:07 PM by Twizseven »

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »
Sounds like a nice and growing collection!

The F1, nice as they are, has to be the worlds worst spindle design.  I've a plan to fix it now, but its not simple.  Like some Deckels, the spindle shaft and housing form the inner and outer races so when the bearings go, you have a real problem.   The F1 is W12 of course, is the F12 the same?

The new spindle for the BCA has been on the back burner for months, but I'm almost done the soft bearing balancer, then can fix the tool post grinder, then can finish the spindle housing.....somehow the hobby has become making the machines right instead of model engines...trying to dig my way out o but have not been able help myself when nice machines are placed in my path.  Only four walls (not yet padded) can contain my enthusiasm for acquiring more machines

My BCA had the geared motor, sort of looked similar, but it was single phase.  The slow speed was too limiting imo.  I agree on three phase, in the garage where I have the big machines I make it via a diy rotary phase converter.  I always felt it gave me a buying advantage as many home guys would steer clear of it.  Small stuff is in the basement, much of it is DC, but I recently put a transformer and VFD in to drive a 440V 3P Schaublin and really like it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:27:04 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »
McGyver,

Yes collection is growing.  My other half sees that as a problem.  My problem is I cannot find time to use any of it at present.  Need to retire, 68 I two weeks time. But work keeps coming my way.  :ThumbsUp: or  :ThumbsDown:

Colin

Offline Twizseven

Re: BCA Mk3 (was Hauser Jig Borer)
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
Other half has now spotted the changes in the workshop to make space :ThumbsDown:.  Told cannot have anything else need to get rid of something. >:(  Like for instance the immaculate Lister D on a trolley. :thinking:.  Nah I'm keeping it.  Just have to sneak the BCA in now, not quite sure when as have RF site surveys to do most of next week.  Also I need to break into my 3 phase feed to the pillar drill and divert some of the sparks to the BCA.  The owner found a couple more of the adaptors for the slots in the rotary table.  :ThumbsUp: The only things its missing from original spec. is the DTI's and the centreing tool.

Will put some pictures up when its in place.

Colin
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:36:31 PM by Twizseven »

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: BCA Mk3 (was Hauser Jig Borer)
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 02:38:11 PM »
Told cannot have anything else need to get rid of something. >:(

The correct response is a sideways quizzical look casting some doubt on what might be the 'something'  :)

Mcgyver
(last of the cavemen)

Offline Twizseven

Re: BCA Mk III
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
Well its in the workshop.  Took rather a lot of messing around though.  When we arrived at my house we found that it was too tall to fit under the roller shutter door. :facepalm:

Drop nose wheel as low as will go, the drives slopes down to garage.  Still too high.  I know the head tilts.  Undid the bolts, pulled out location dowel, tilted head.  Still too high.  Removed the pulley tension bracket, head now rotates completely sideways.  Still too tall.  Push roller shutter up out of guides, Hurrah. :cartwheel:

Trailer in garage.  Oh bu..er.  My hoist is much too low, overhangs the BCA by a foot.   :headscratch:  I know hydraulic lift table will do it.  Drag BCA off trailer and onto lift trolley.  Lower trolley.  Still not enough room for hoist.  Now for the creative bit, get lifting strop and wrap round side leg at the bottom, swap my chain hoist for a slightly smaller Tirfor winch and carefully hoist one side of BCA till just clear of the hydraulic table.  Slide hydraulic pallet truck under the side of the BCA as pull/push it off the hydraulic table and lower it at od angle to the pallet truck.  So far so good. :ThumbsUp:  Now roll the pair along the floor till the other leg of the BCA is below the Tirfor winch, Strop round leg and lift until clear of hydraulic table, pull table out of way, slide BCA onto pallet truck.  We are getting there.  Lower pallet truck, put strop round BCA body and use winch to clear the pallet truck and lower to the ground.  :cartwheel:

All that remained was to push it into its new home.

Just need some sparks for it now (and suffer sparks from the other half) and give it a good clean.

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 08:31:07 PM »
You got it then  :wallbang: and there was me hopeful it would be still looking for a loving home  :-\

It looks at home there  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »
Congrats. A couple of good "oh no!" moments successfully overcome.

I hear that chocolates and flowers sometimes act as a decent insulator against 'sparks'.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:41 PM »
I know how you feel Colin....I've had a couple of machines follow me home and I get there .......and Oh *&%^&&*&^,,,,where's it going?????

Glad you sorted it!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 10:12:14 PM »
Zee, Dave,  I guess I'm going to have to own up soon.  Its that or wait till she spots what was an empty space last week now filled up by metal.

Jo,

Sorree,  You've got one already, what would you do with a second. :thinking:  He has still got the little Hauser vertical mill, a Harrison Vertical mill, a Myford Super 7 and possibly a Hardinge Capstan lathe available.  Also a few castings of bits for the Aciera.  Also wants to lose a Scott watercooled motorbike, a Mercedes (I think its a350SLK coupe), and possible a Bentley (8??) saloon.

Colin.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 11:25:21 PM »
Zee, Dave,  I guess I'm going to have to own up soon.  Its that or wait till she spots what was an empty space last week now filled up by metal.

Jo,

Sorree,  You've got one already, what would you do with a second. :thinking:  He has still got the little Hauser vertical mill, a Harrison Vertical mill, a Myford Super 7 and possibly a Hardinge Capstan lathe available.  Also a few castings of bits for the Aciera.  Also wants to lose a Scott watercooled motorbike, a Mercedes (I think its a350SLK coupe), and possible a Bentley (8??) saloon.

Colin.

ou ou  ou   he said Aciera.....Like my F1?     :cheers:
Damned ijjit!

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
Steamer,

I have got an Aciera F12 and my mate who I had it off has an F1.  He has some castings for spare parts.

Colin

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »
My F1 I got at a very cheap price.....the money caught fire on the way out of my pocket.....

:Love:
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal