Author Topic: Hauser Jig Borer  (Read 10413 times)

Offline Twizseven

Hauser Jig Borer
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:45:53 PM »
Hi Folks,

Friend of mine has a small Hauser Jig Borer, lovely little machine.  Trying to find out what collets it uses.

the lathes .co.uk shows a very similar machine under the heading Other Machines,  It does not mention the type of

collet but it shows a horizontal machine and says it has a spindle which takes 9 mm Schaublin collets (draw-tube retained).

A horizontal machine is shown with a vertical attachment which looks very similar to the spindle in the picture I have shown below.

I have never heard of a Schaublin 9mm collet and wonder whether it is a typing error.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this machine.

Many Thanks,

Colin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:59:01 PM by Twizseven »

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Hauser Jig Borer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 10:21:12 PM »
That is an interesting one, Tony's implies its a vertical mill, but it does have the moving Z like a jig borer.   I would think it highly sought after, both because its rare and its Hauser.   I've an M1 (i believe their smallest jig borer) and it takes 8mm Schaublin collets - the same as you put in a Schaublin milling attachment.  I have no idea if that one is the same.  Know anyone with a variety of watchmaker collets to give it a try?  OR try an 7.99mm dia stub of something and see if it fits?

Their jig bores also come with different spindles as well as a microscope making a very fine tool makers microscope.  Incidentally there is one for sale I saw recently in the UK, really well equipped for sale and, while not really small dollars, still a heck of a lot less than most want for the M1

I just got the Hauser M1, package deal with yet another lathe and mill.  I just finished painting it (the paint was literally falling off).   It is the nicest machine I think I've ever put my hands on.  Its in really good shape, original scraping (the best I've seen, probably 40ppi) is well defined.  Graduated in the tenths with lead error correction, the precision and fit and every part is unrivaled in my experience.....I was every machine was made like a Hauser!

Photos of mine just just because its so pleased with the paint and its an excuse to show it :)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:28:43 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 12:30:56 AM »
That is gorgeous!! What a wonderful paint job too!!! A quality machine and all dressed up as well, what more could you ask 😊

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:00:11 AM »
A thing of beauty for sure !  :ThumbsUp:

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:05:39 AM »
What a beautiful machine Mcgyver!
The paint looks amazing.

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:38:47 AM »
Beautiful!! Is that a contour tracer on the back behind the large wheel?

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 03:05:29 AM »
Beautiful!! Is that a contour tracer on the back behind the large wheel?

thanks all for the encouragement and kind words.  Sorry Colin if I took it OT a bit, I got too excited when I saw Hauser Jig Borer.

Pete, The contoured piece is the thread error correction device and is on the x and y axis.  Its shown best in the last photo.  you can see there is a plunger (spring loaded) that runs along the contoured profile.  The plunger is connected to the marker for the axis - the mark that you read a line on graduated dial against.  So as you move over the length of the feedscrew, the mark moves slightly relative to the dial to compensate for lead error in the feedscrew.  Each graduation line is a tenth and its is suppose to be accurate to tenth corner to corner. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:29:14 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »
Well I'll be! I'd never heard of such a thing but it makes perfect sense. Without electronics there must be a way to compensate for deviations in the screw. Amazing stuff.

Thanks,
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »
Mcgyver,

No problem going OT.  You have made a beautiful job of that borer, the paint looks fantastic.  Better than new ??

My friend has one of the large Hauser jig borer as well as the little one.  I may try and take the little one off his hands.
He wants to get rid of it.  I think your possibly correct that it is  8mm schaublin collets.  Bit of a shame as I have a small selection of
W12 collets for my Aciera F12 but no 8mm ones.

The jig borer does not have a motor with it so that would take a bit of thinking about.  I do like the little rotary table on it.

My colleague also has a BCA jig borer (with all the bits) on a stand he wants to part with, but I just do not have the space, plus
I would get crucified by the other half.  I sneaked the Aciera in as it was. :LittleDevil:

Colin

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
Colin, you have to make room!! :).  As for the better half, sneak them them in in pieces under the cover of darkness

I've also a BCA and an F1 (picked up with the M1 and another Schaublin 70).  Just too nice to say no to.  The F1 is in pieces as, as nice as they are, I think it the worlds worst spindle design (Outer needle bearing race is the spindle housing, grrrrr).   Slowly a plan is developing to restore the spindle, but its tricky.   I didn't set out to buy the M1.  When getting the F1, thank goodness, I took an indicator and caught the F1 bearing problem before purchasing it - the M1 ended up thrown in to the deal for me assuming the F1 bearing problem
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:23:10 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »
Mcgyver,

I think I could get away with the Hauser but the BCA would be spotted immediately and I think to be honest is going to be a lot more than I would want to pay.

Only problem I can see with the Hauser is finding collets for it.  I have found a couple of bits on web which mention that the small Hauser
jig borers used W9 collets, (rare as hens teeth) but I want to try ad get some more info.

Colin

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
Only problem I can see with the Hauser is finding collets for it.  I have found a couple of bits on web which mention that the small Hauser
jig borers used W9 collets, (rare as hens teeth) but I want to try ad get some more info.

One the challenges you hame imo is that i'm not convinced Hauser called that a jig borer so searching for what went in a jig borer may or may not be what you're after.  My thoughts on that is that everything I've seen says the M1 is their smallest jig borer and the way Tony's site is worded it sort of implies that machine is their vertical mill.  I'm far from 100% on it, maybe not even 50/50, but I thinking a reasonable probability.  Maybe a more informed view will emerge.

I did double check my M1, the collets that came with the spindle are 8mm, Schaublin.  (at the least the spindle and collets that came with it, the M1 jig borers had different spindles that you'd swap in and out) Unlike the 12mm Schaublin that is buttress thread, the 8mm Schaublin collets is a V thread and appears to be very much like a standard 8mm watchmakers lathe.  The large end is slightly larger OD and I've not measured or blued to check the angle....but I'm thinking its pretty much a standard 8mm watch makers collet.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:11:25 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
ShaylocoDan

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 09:19:48 PM »
In the ensuing weeks since I put up the initial post, I have had a close look at the BCA.  It is a MKIII on the original cabinet.  It is in mint condition, all the scraping can be seen on the ways.  The three phase motor purrs, its almost silent.  there is a full set of Imperial collets, 6 & 10mm collets, an unused set of the measurement bars, Pratt 82mm three jaw chuck on a baseplate to fit the rotary table, Lushington No1 boring head, Lushington No.0 boring head, BCA standard table clamps and extension table clamps, small vice, Albrecht 0-1/4" chuck (looks unused), BCA milling cutter arbors, and the drawer is full of oddments such as 'T' nuts for rotary table, centring guide for rotary table and other odd bits of steel.

Very tempting.

Colin

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:26 PM »
That looks to be a very nice machine, the collets alone are worth a fair bit, just buy it and worry about the consequences later  :ThumbsUp:

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal