Author Topic: Snow Fear  (Read 15588 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Snow Fear
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »
What is it with the UK threats of 5 to 10 cm (yes Guys you read it right that is cm not inches  ::) ) and the BBC make out it is the beginning of the end of the world  :ShakeHead: They promise us because of the danger some of the Trains will have to go even slower  :headscratch: and there will be less of them..... and the councils will have to get their trucks out to salt the roads  :noidea:

Earlier today I was discussing this with one of my Scottish colleagues who was busy doing too much of this:  :lolb:  :lolb: to have a sensible discussion... it was so embarrassing  ::) A couple of little flecks he tells me the most dangerous thing we have down south is the idiot drivers who leave their brains at home  :facepalm:

Hopefully we will be able to show our American cousins some of the vast snow falls we are to get over the next few days that are so terrible that they will bring our country to its knees so they too can appreciate what a dangerous climate we have this side of the pond :)   

Jo

P.S. Might be a good time to put the heater on in the workshop  ;)

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Snow Fear
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »
It's not just a UK issue, Jo. Even here, where it does rain a lot and snows almost every winter a sea level, people seem to forget how to think or drive when it snows!! :insane:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
That would be 2-4" for us, which in the southern USA is a lot. The northeast areas can easily handle that but would cripple us too....schools would be out, businesses closed, etc.  Like your colleague says, the worst part is idiots trying to drive in it when they have enough problems driving on a clear sunny day!!! Get the shop heater going and enjoy the time there :)

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
From experience I think that if a lot of UK drivers had tread on their tyres it would be easier. When I was in Devizes (south western England) I was able to drive my VW Touran round a Transit that was sliding back down the hill towards me. My wife was able to drive her Smart to work except when the road was blocked by other abandoned cars  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
IIRC on the continent Winter tyres are mandatory, not here ... and probably not worth it for the average driver.

In any case UK snow is not like other countries snow, it's YELLOW !!   Very unpalatable if you happen to fall face down ...  :(

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-26&lat=53.0241&lon=-1.4761

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »
We've had the same phenomenon over here lately too, Jo, ever since the TV news stations got fancy new graphics, they want to show them off every chance they get. "Oh no, its going to be cloudy! Weather Alert!"

Dingalings!

Then they send the new guy at the station out to do a remote report, and he/she is standing there talking about how awful it is, and in the background is someone out riding their bike in the mild weather....

So, send us some pictures when you get the meter of snow in an hour....! You guys with the 1/3rd size traction engines can own the streets!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
IIRC on the continent Winter tyres are mandatory, not here ... and probably not worth it for the average driver.

In any case UK snow is not like other countries snow, it's YELLOW !!   Very unpalatable if you happen to all face down ...  :(

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-26&lat=53.0241&lon=-1.4761

Dave
Yellow snow used to be just where the sled dogs go.... What on earth are you guys powering your cars with?!?!?!?  :ROFL:

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
I can't help it, that phrase always brings this to mind from the past: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-yRu5jbt3Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-yRu5jbt3Y</a>

We drove home from Sarasota 2 weekends ago, in Winter Storm Mateo, which turned out to be rain and fog. Not exactly our idea of a winter storm. We kept looking for the snow and ice :-)

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 09:31:56 PM »
Yeah 2 in he's of snow ...we just let it melt.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
I remember that Gerrit, If I recall correctly, Cheech and Chong also did a bit on the phrase :lolb:. Now I don’t know if it’s global warming or this big old ball we live on doing the same thing it’s always done: changing, but, I’m sure any of us over the age of 50-60 remember winters being a lot colder and more snow. One of my childhood buddies and I were laughing during the winter Olympiad’s about how we would go out in the snow and try to emulate our team in our youth: during most of the games this year it was in the upper 60’s to the upper 70’s here and records were even broken. I have girls working for me that have never seen more than an inch or two of snow and Lord knows they don’t have a clue of driving on the crap. As Bill said; here in the South, an inch or so shuts us down today. I’ve had to close several times in the last two years because of no help being able to get there. Yet, for the first 18 years that didn’t happen, but, we had older employees. I also think that this has a lot to do with lawsuits, insurance, and the non-prepared driver. . Lord, I’m starting to filibuster   :lolb: :lolb:.

Cletus

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 11:51:41 PM »
Hey being from Wisconsin we are used to snow, and the idiots that forget how to drive when the first snow falls. Then lets not forget the ones that think that because they can get the car up to 70 that they can drive that speed. :wallbang:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Thor

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 05:11:07 AM »
 Well, we get snow every winter and the snowplows are busy in the winter months. Most people manage to get to work on time, 5 to 10cm is no problem. 50 to a 100cm causes a bit more of a problem especially if we have strong winds.

Thor

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 06:56:48 AM »
I was going to go out and take some pictures of the "snow" but other than in the dark corners of my garden where I have a little frosted flakes I can report no snow  :)

Latest weather update: Media hysteria of snow fall blamed for panic food buying  :facepalm: Having spent nearly 1/3rd of the BBC news time yesterday reporting on the doom that was going to be caused by snow they are now claiming it will be later in the week...

This feels to me like lazy/cheap journalism: they can't be bothered to go and find a real news story so they make one up :disappointed:  and in the UK the weather is always fair game

Jo

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:39:15 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:22:01 AM »
It's grim oop north  ..  :(

Could be the end game    ...... never known it like this  .... I think I'm a goner ....  :'(

Your thoughts, prayers, Jaffa Cakes, sticky wotsits, good quality endmills, anything useful solicited.

If any more comes it will be half way up the treads on the Subaru.

Not sure that this is survivable. .....

Bye Folks ... Luv Ya ...

Dave

PS camera still on BST ...  :facepalm2:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 07:49:18 AM »
Looks like both Dave and myself won't be getting our bins emptied as those drifts will be too deep for the bin men to get through.

This is the chaos at high altitude within the M25 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal