Author Topic: Myford Super 7 refurbishment  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Trevorc

Myford Super 7 refurbishment
« on: February 25, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »
Hello everybody.
My Myford S7 dates from 1987 so it is beginning to show its age a little. As a minimum the bed needs a regrind, the clutch and counter shaft along with tailstock need attention.
In the past the original Myford company undertook such jobs and i believe did a god job and could be trusted to do so. However, since there demise who do we turn to? Therefore has anybody any recent experience of having a Myford refurbished? Who did the job for you? Can they be trusted?
I cherish my Myford so dont want to hand it to any of the cowboys to do the refurbishment so any advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Trevorc

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Myford Super 7 refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »
I was thinking of having S7 bed done.

http://www.slidewayservices.co.uk/

Did have a price quoted, OWNER is to strip lathe and take the CLEAN bits to the works and retrieve same.

They tell you what they want.

I'm not going to divulge the price as it was some 20-odd months ago. But I thought it was very reasonable.

Decided not to go ahead. I've always considered the S7 was too small re: mandrel bore so when I've quite done faffing about I will probably sell it and buy an island in the Seychelles    ;D  ...     No, not really, probably a WMxx , mit 26mm mandrel hole ...  :ThumbsUp:

There are two ex-Myford people going round, or were. Search the model Engineer site. Mentioned several times on there ..

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=101869

also this :

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=132287
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=127029

Dave

IIRC the Slideway Services person was called Brian Caddy ..   I think ...  :headscratch:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:23:23 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:31:15 PM »
Doesn't really help with your question of who, but you could do it yourself.  I've done a few and its a lot of work for me to volunteer you for :), but to recondition a machine there is a lot of scraping anyway, even with the bed ground. 

Apologies if its preaching to the choir, but after a bed regrind there is still a huge about of work scraping everything into original alignment - ie the tail stock is not necessarily flat and likely lower than the headstock, so both of those need scraping, the saddle won't bear properly on the bed so its needs scraping, the leadscrew needs lowering, after the saddle you probably have to do the cross slide to get it properly aligned, if the bed was worn you'd better do the cross slide and compound anyway, after if the effort to make the rest of it perfect.  Entirely doable to scrape yourself if not hardened ways (that's when to for sure send it out) and the bed is maybe 20% of the job so you still have to do a bunch of scraping.....the point being to recondition a machine tool properly you're not getting out scraping by having the bed ground.  (edit, on reflection, the box ways do make it easier, I've done both styles, but if you want proper bearing everywhere there should be, scraping is how you get it)

As for cowboys, I think if you find a shop with slideway grinder, in likelihood that's what the do: grind ways.  Chat them up to get comfort, but industry sending machines worth a lot money aren't going to be tolerant of yahoos.   A  good shop will pay attention to temps - i.e. not work on a bed that isn't the shop temp, take tons of super light cuts and so forth.  Probably not the best thing to search for ultimate deal on either lol, you want them happy with the job and not rushed

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:43:43 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
I'm not sure about this but I think the part of the bed the headstock sits on is reground too on a S7.

Trevor would have to ask Slideway if he proceeds.

IIRC they wanted the bed & saddle to sort them out properly.

Long time ago   :old:

Dave

http://www.small-lathes.co.uk/Myford-Lathe-Parts/Super-7-Parts/C16-14-1-0.htm

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:49:34 PM by Bluechip »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 07:15:53 AM »
Do you have any idea how much time and effort goes in to stripping down a Lathe to be able to get at the bits that need to be reground? And then there is a longer period of time after the regrind getting it put back together and set up again afterwards. While people used to complain about the refurbished prices from Myford it was really the strip down/rebuild that you were paying for.

Are you prepared to not have a lathe for say 12 months?  :(

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:43:41 AM »
 :headscratch:

Who's 'you' ?

Trevor, Mcgyver or me. ?

If 'me' the answer to the question is yes-ish.

That did occur to me hence the purchase of that somewhat scratty ARC SC3 ( or whatever ) in case I wanted a bit of turning done.

Snowing here a bit BTW ...  :Mad:

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »

Who's 'you' ?

Trevor  ::)

Yes a few flecks of the white stuff wandering around down here too   :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline RayW

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »
And in Kent! Went down the garden to the workshop this morning in light snow and joked with my wife that perhaps I ought to take a shovel, warm clothing and some food in case I got trapped there.Within minutes of closing the workshop door, I looked out of the window to see a blizzard! Gradually thawing now but keep getting more heavy showers.

Ray
Ray

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »

Who's 'you' ?

Trevor, Mcgyver or me. ?

yes Tevor, as in before I even say anything,  I get that its easy for me to suggest he DIY instead of outsource, as I'm not the one who has to do all the work
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:19:55 PM by Mcgyver »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal