Author Topic: Adjustable parallels - good or gimmick ?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Adjustable parallels - good or gimmick ?
« on: February 25, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
I've considered buying a set of adjustable parallels and wondered what others think of them - are they any good or a bit of a gimmick ?

I find now and again I need a size that I don't have in my fixed set so end up going overboard in stacking them or resorting to making a temporary one. I'm not a 'tool tart' who needs one of everything but they do look to have their uses, any thoughts ?

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Adjustable parallels - good or gimmick ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »
They are very good for measuring slots ,expanthem in the slot and mic them.

IMHO they are not rigid enough to be used as a conventional parallel

But as is the norm others will offer a differen opinion

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:36:17 AM »
Hi Peter,

I bought a pair as a 'must have' years ago from a company called Akron I think.  I can honestly say I don't recall ever using them  ::)
Haven't seen them for some time but they're still there somewhere should I need to ;)

Also bought some of those expanding mandrels from Arc Euro a while back but still use my home turned ones instead  ::)

It's nice to buy something though - go on treat yourself  ;)

Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »
You might be OK with a pair of Starrett 154's But as Stuart said, they are never going to be as rigid as solid parallels. Much depends on the nature of the intended work. I would prefer a selection of solid parallels any day.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
Thanks guys,

It sounds like I'm better off just making do with what I have for now, or possibly another set of budget fixed parallels in different sizes to my existing ones. I don't need anything of NASA accuracy so a £40 set will be fine.

I kinda thought the adjustable ones might be ok used singly but had doubts about them used as a pair, I'd assume it would be an easy mistake to have one set a few thou different from the other.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
Yes, I totally agree.

The best thing about fixed parallels is they stay fixed, no risk of a misadjustment. :hammerbash:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

toolznthings

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
Hi,
The real intended purpose for adjustable parallels is for measurements. I personally would be reluctant to use them for " parallels ", although they could be used for that purpose in a pinch. If you need a odd size machine from a piece of scrap and save for latter use. Seems to be never enough parallels or blocks for setups.

Brian

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
I've never heard of anyone attempting to use them as substitutes for conventional parallels, especially when pairs are required.  As has been mentioned, their primary use is as a measurement tool.  A frequent use in my shop is to provide the required height to set an angle using a sine bar.  Use a mike to adjust the parallel to the required height.  Saves wear and tear on the space blocks.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline AOG

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 03:17:32 PM »
I use mine regularly wiith castings that I have mounted to tooling plates. When I have to rotate the part to drill from the side or at an angle, the piece is cantilevered off of the tooling plate. I’ll tuck an adjustable parallel under the end of the part to keep it from bending under the force of drilling. I find them very useful that way.

Tony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal