Author Topic: Textile Mill Diorama  (Read 112193 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: Textile Mill Diorama
« Reply #795 on: November 10, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
I agree Bill. Black cast iron frames, geared pulleys and lots of little details. It would be quite a project.

But as  you can see, a lot of the floor space is not planked.

I'll be interested to see how the pictures look mounted on the back wall.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Boiler House
« Reply #796 on: November 11, 2018, 03:45:26 PM »
Things are drawing to a close with the first half of the diorama.
Some of these photos will find their way into a book about the project. Unfortunately, Apple has ceased pubishing books. You can still assemble the books in iPhoto, but have to download third party software to publish them. And of course, you have to upgrade your machine to download the software.

Final shots of the boiler house...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #797 on: November 11, 2018, 05:37:30 PM »
 :popcorn: Still watching. Fascinating.

I didn't know the fire buckets had a handle underneath.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #798 on: November 11, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
Hi Carl,
Thanks. Good to have you peeking in.

Not all fire pails did have that handle. I was surprised as well when I saw it in that photo.

At the time they must have been paranoid about getting those pails back on the hook and available for use immediately. I can see the pails being borrowed for other things with the honest intention of bringing them back. But human nature being what it is, that didn't always happen.

Clever though to make the pail rather useless for general use. Here is a photo of a more common galvanized fire pail.

The other pics finish a look at the engine room...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:06:20 PM by J.L. »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #799 on: November 11, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #800 on: November 11, 2018, 07:33:18 PM »
Thanks Pete,

One last look at the upper floor. Thanks go to Thomas Saunders for sugggestng photos of machinery to tell the story of "what was going on up there".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
To Date
« Reply #801 on: November 11, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
And one last photo before we turn the diorama around to begin the other side:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #802 on: November 11, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
The picture idea is novel but very effective giver the limited space. So the other side is to be a woodshop?

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #803 on: November 11, 2018, 09:01:23 PM »
Yes Bill.

Although, over time, the mills developed cast iron machinery, there was a great need for many joining pieces of wood. And thern there were the countless number of bobbins, spools and spindles that had to be made or repaired.

The workshop I'm modelling is but a tiny, tiny portion of the workshop that would be attached to the mill. I'm only representing 9.5 ft. x 20.5 ft. of floorspace. The room comes toward us at least another 20 ft. to accommodate some of the newer heavy machinery developed close to the turn of the century for woodworking (photo 3).

Note the line shaft peeking through the back wall of the engine room above the window.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #804 on: November 11, 2018, 11:10:28 PM »
Those photographs and the paraphernalia you have laying around up pn the second floor do the trick rather well John. Looking Really Good.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline BAH

« Reply #805 on: November 13, 2018, 02:20:59 AM »
This is absolute stunning, all your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #806 on: November 13, 2018, 06:15:50 PM »
Thank you BAH.

Tom, the pictures do tell the story and save an incredible amount of work attempting to make something even resenbling those complex machines. And as Bill says, the floor space up there is limited.

So now we turn our attention to the shop.

The focal point will be the table saw. I want to bring it forward as far as possible because we are not looking at the centre of the room but rather only the back one-third.

Any carpenter will tell you that the first thing they turn their thoughts to when settig up a woodworking shop is not the machinery , but the workbench.

In this shop, a carpenter's bench is being built up with a front and tail vice. It will sit against the east wall to the left of the door.

P.S. Do  you see what's wrong with how I set the casting for the table saw for the photo?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:38:14 PM by J.L. »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #807 on: November 14, 2018, 12:49:56 AM »
It would limit the length of material you could handle I would think.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #808 on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:16 AM »
It would limit the length of material you could handle I would think.

Bill
Good point Bill. My woodshop is the second floor of my house, the table saw sits right in the center, been times it was the only way to cut long boards for the boats.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #809 on: November 14, 2018, 03:21:44 AM »
Yes Bill.

Although, over time, the mills developed cast iron machinery, there was a great need for many joining pieces of wood. And thern there were the countless number of bobbins, spools and spindles that had to be made or repaired.

The workshop I'm modelling is but a tiny, tiny portion of the workshop that would be attached to the mill. I'm only representing 9.5 ft. x 20.5 ft. of floorspace. The room comes toward us at least another 20 ft. to accommodate some of the newer heavy machinery developed close to the turn of the century for woodworking (photo 3).

Note the line shaft peeking through the back wall of the engine room above the window.    Hi John ,I used to have one of those Old cast iron bandsaws that is contemporaneous with the machinery in your illustration !! A grey machine and it was called The Comet   so was it built when Haleys comet passed over in the  19century ??!!! This was when i used to make violins and cello's in the 1970's ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal