Author Topic: Textile Mill Diorama  (Read 112294 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Textile Mill Diorama
« Reply #780 on: November 05, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »
Wonderful  :praise2:  :praise2: I always enjoy looking in on this thread for all the fine details  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline rspringer

« Reply #781 on: November 06, 2018, 04:39:45 PM »
I made it to the Soule steam festival in Meridian MS this weekend.  I photographed a little of the line shaft.  Please excuse some of the quality the light in the old building was almost all coming through the windows. 

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #782 on: November 06, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
Hello JL,

You know when you think about it, that is a pretty efficient system with just one engine running all that equipment.

Nice photos rspringer.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #783 on: November 06, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
Great shots - I like the fan at the one end, all the air conditioning they got.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #784 on: November 06, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
Thank you for the line shaft photographs rspringer! Good of you to share them here.

Yes Thomas, it was quite the effecient system but it must have been a pain to maintain the shafts and bearings. And in the early days hangers were mounted on wooden beams.

John

Offline Larry Sw

« Reply #785 on: November 06, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »
I wonder how many HP it took just to spin the whole line shaft with all the pulleys and belts
and no machinery working ?

Larry S

Offline rspringer

« Reply #786 on: November 07, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »
look at photo 2540 at the bottom just to the left of the chain hoist.  That is the electric motor that ran the whole place.  Notice the 3 wires with coils in them. 
2529 is the drive for freight elevator
2536 is the smaller lathe
2543 is the big one

Rod

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #787 on: November 07, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »

"it must have been a pain to maintain the shafts and bearings."

According to a documentary I saw a long time ago (PBS, I think.), The bearings in early mills were greased by small boys who crawled up among the beams and shafts and belts with buckets of grease. Those were the "Grease Monkeys."

--ShopShoe

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #788 on: November 07, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
Regarding the coils of wire in photo 2540, strain reliefs either hadn't been invented yet or they were REALLY expensive.  Those coils of wire allowed the wires/connections to move around a little bit without stressing the connections to the point where they would break.  It's a wooden structure which will absorb some of the vibration, but things are going to move around a little bit, sometimes a lot, due to vibration from un-balanced parts.

Don

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #789 on: November 07, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »
Interesting facts Don.

While we are on the topic of line shafts, on page 49 of this thread, Derek circled in red, the face to face bolted couplings that joined sections of line shafts together. They were quite common and often did the job well.

However, in the Strelinger & Co. 1895 Book of Tools, Machinery and Supplies, they could be a problem if not tightly installed.

*"At first, where such couplings are badly fitted, shafting will not run ture. Afterwards the line will spread because the shaft will slip out of the couplings endwise. and again. the shaft will grind out the key and its seat, and ruin in a few days what it cost much money and trouble to mend."

They recommed compression couplings I described earleir in the thread.

*pg. 357

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Fire Suppression
« Reply #790 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »
"The round bottom bucket is coming into very general use for purposes of fire protection."
Chas A Strelingerr & Co. 1895
pg. 396

This ensured that if the bucket were borrowed for any other purpose, the user would bring it back and hang it up!

I found a picture on the internet of  buckets hanging on posts that served the same purpose but were more effective with a handle on the bottom. The user could grab the handle of the bucket with one hand and aim it by grabbing a handle fastened to its bottom with their other.

A nice detail for the diorama. Some extra sand used to fill between the bricks of my front walkway came in handy.  ;)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #791 on: November 08, 2018, 07:34:48 PM »
The attention to detail is Smithsonian quality  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. I’m just blown away.

Whiskey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #792 on: November 08, 2018, 09:38:40 PM »
These are the little things that add so much to your dioramas John. Great stuff!!

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #793 on: November 09, 2018, 09:35:48 PM »
Thank you for your kind words Bill.

I do enjoy tellig the story of the machines in their setting.

I have decided that there will be no textile machinery on the second floor of the diorama. Instead I will gather some colour public domain  photos from the internet and fasten them to the back wall of the second floor. Thus, I have given up on the notion of having a floor mounted line shaft. The equipment for the line shaft will be there, but because there is no machinery, the bearings and pulley will look as though they are ready to be installed.

Notice the big cotton box in photo one. That I will model.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:22:54 PM by J.L. »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #794 on: November 10, 2018, 12:40:55 AM »
That equipment would be fun to model...brown stuff and metal both😊.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal