Author Topic: Textile Mill Diorama  (Read 112389 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: Textile Mill Diorama
« Reply #825 on: November 21, 2018, 08:16:37 PM »
Hi Ron,
You have given me an intriguing idea. I have produced over a dozen books featuring the construciton of my dioramas. They are just one-off copies from Apple,which has now gone out of the printing of photo books.

I will definitely look into this.

Thank you very much.

John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Saw Table
« Reply #826 on: November 22, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
This PMR table saw must be patterned after a very easy design. To my mind it would be quite dangerous to operate.

The table is raised and lowered by the saw table jack screw you see lying. beside the frame of the saw in the third photo. Quite primitive. The table pivots up and down rather than the saw arbour pivoting up and down.

In other words, If you want a shallow cut, you would crank the table up and run your work downhill into the saw!

I'm sure this design did not stay on the market long, once someone came up with the idea of mounting the saw arbour on a pivot instead of the table.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:37:24 PM by J.L. »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #827 on: November 23, 2018, 01:17:23 AM »
If I recall correctly, the tilting table is the original design as made by the Shaker woman who invented the table saw. I don't know when the tilting arbor saw was invented but it was quite some time after the original.

Nice work!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #828 on: November 23, 2018, 03:45:48 AM »
Update on the overhead line shafts at Soule Steam Feed in Mississippi.  Check out abom79 on YouTube. He just posted a good video of yhe the steam festival.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #829 on: November 24, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
Thanks for the link. A walk into the past.

I did not know the history of this type of saw Pete. Interesting and worth some research.

The saw arbor has been made. I will have to be very careful with this saw when the total diorama is finished and running. The blade is extremely sharp.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #830 on: November 25, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
I spent a lot of time this morning centering the last line shaft pulley in the metal lathes's 4-jaw chuck. There are three more pulleys to go for the saw itself. Then I looked over at my trusty old General 160 wood turning lathe. It had its chuck mounted with its four small expanding jaws mounted. Hmm....

I think I have just cut down the amount of work to do drilling the axle holes...

Here's another look back at those woodturning days. The ball and box boxes nest into each other. An ebony ball is a the core of the ball boxes and the  outer  lid of the other mahogany boxes is not shown.

I must say, the model engineering with the metal lathe now  is just as enjoyable as those eary woodturning days.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #831 on: November 25, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »
Amazing turning work! I've never seen the nesting ball boxes before, quite intricate.   :NotWorthy:

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #832 on: November 28, 2018, 02:59:03 PM »
Thanks Chris,
Turning those nesting boxes was a good challenge.

Maintianing belts, pulleys and lineshafts must have been a constant headache back in the day, but in theory, turning machinery on and off was an easy matter of simply shifting the belt from an idling pulley to a fixed one as seen in this first photo.

The second photo shows both pulleys being turned at the same time to ensure equal diameters.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #833 on: November 28, 2018, 07:13:53 PM »
The frame of the saw is now ready to reprime and paint.

The slot in the bearing blocks made it very easy to adjust the belt tension on the saw mandrel. Those actually should be bolts rather than  slot heaed philister screws, but the space was tight for a finger wrench.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:12:12 PM by J.L. »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #834 on: November 28, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
Sorry if you have ansered this before, but are the pulleys crowned at all to keep the belts centered?

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #835 on: November 28, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
Hi Chris,
Yes, all pulleys are crowned, I can see why you asked that question though. I turned both pulleys in one of the above pictures parallel to make sure their diameters were the same. They were then individualy crowned - a process I did not show this time.

I did mention earleir that it is interesting to watch a belt find the high diameter of the crown and center itself. If the crown is not equidistant from the centre of the pulley, you will know it.  :D

Thanks for asking.

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #836 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
Coming along well John. What else will be on the wood shop part of the diorama?

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #837 on: November 28, 2018, 10:06:15 PM »
Hi Bill.

Thanks. Well there probably was a wealth of heavy nmachinery in front of us out of view (e.g. photo 1). We are seeing only the back section of the wood shop next to the engine room window and door.

I have not decided yet whether I am going to show an antique treadle operated foot lathe tucked away in the right corner. Other lathes would have been converted to belt drive at this time, but perhaps they left one in the corner as a machine to be used for parts.

Apparently, you can operate it with your finger pressing up and down on the foot treadle, That may be a neat feature when displaying the diorama.

We'll see,...

The end is nearing Bill. I have started the first book of three outlining the constrution of the diorama.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #838 on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:49 PM »
Other than the drill press and wood lathe, pmr unfortunately doesn't have any more wood machines. That band saw and planner could be interesting for them to consider as well as the jointer. 

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #839 on: November 29, 2018, 02:01:32 AM »
I agree Bill. I have written PMR on several occasions with thoughts of new products.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal