Author Topic: Textile Mill Diorama  (Read 115407 times)

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
Re: Textile Mill Diorama
« Reply #750 on: October 25, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »
If I remember correctly, you stitch the joints in your belts, don't you?

I don't imagine there's too much call for the alligator style flat belt lacing that size.

Don

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #751 on: October 26, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
Hi Don,
Yes, I use heavy glove thread to represent cut rawhide lace leather. You will note in the first photo that the lacing is parallel on the inside face of the belt. The crisscrossing was always done on the other side.

Leather belts were also skived, lapped and glued. Metal connectors were also very common, but never used in high speed applications. Quoting from Strelinger's catalog:

"For Electrical, and in fact all high speed machinery, the Belting used should be a cemented belt, without rivets or metallic fastenings of any kind."

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
First Line Shaft Belt
« Reply #752 on: October 26, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »
The first of four line shaft belts is in place. It will carry power upstairs to ceiling and floor line shafts and carry on into the woodworking shop to power the table saw and perhaps a converted wood lathe.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:12:54 PM by J.L. »

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #753 on: October 27, 2018, 01:50:11 AM »
Just a quick question, was there any tensioning on each belt or did it rely on belt fit? :thinking: :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #754 on: October 27, 2018, 05:39:00 AM »
JC....as an apprentice  :old: many many years ago I remember making new flat leather belts with that patiented  alligator pinched/crimped wire ends + a  twine type wire inserted & locking the halves for form the endless loop

It was an art form getting the spacing of each half just out of step with the other so they intertwined however with the sides of the belt square

In may cases, a small arm with a counterweight and a 3rd flat pulley provided the tension and drive

The belts were always finished side outer, so the drive was via the unleavened side of the leather

Rosen [a yellow powder from crushed yellow rock??] was sprinkled between the pulley & belt during rotation to gain friction

In most cases, each pulley was radius crowned, so the belts always rode on the highest point of diameter

Derek

PS....as part of the training, we had to measure the diameter of each pulley, measure the centre distance & calculate the the length of leather belting to be cut, we also had to show our calculations to a Tradesman [or Foreman] to back check to ensure no wastage  :toilet_claw: of leather

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 07:33:42 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #755 on: October 27, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
Hi Derek. Good personal information about mechanical belt fasteners. Thanks.

JC, to furthur answer your question, there were commercial belt tighteners available at that time. Derek mentioned  a small arm with a counterweight and a 3rd flat pulley provided the tension and drive.

The first photo shows the gravity type. Along with it are photos of one I made for the 19th Century Machine Shop Diorama.

The last shot is a cut of the the mechanical type where a sled on a track was advanced to bear against the belt.

Thanks for asking.

John

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 01:51:49 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #756 on: October 27, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
The belt work is complete in the engine room except for the little belt that will come through the floor up to the floor mounted line shaft upstairs.

The engineers will not be very happy with the carpenters who drilled some holes in the beams and flooring. Obviously they neglected to put a tarp over the flywheel.  ::)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #757 on: October 27, 2018, 10:13:46 PM »
Messy carpenters aside, that is looking terrific! Easy to forget its a scale model, your realism is fantastic.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #758 on: October 27, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
You are getting close now John. Looks fantastic as always.

Bill

Offline rspringer

« Reply #759 on: October 27, 2018, 11:18:52 PM »
Love the attention to detail.  The little "clacker" on the shaft.  I really like the sound several on the same shaft make and watching them run back and forth.  Going to see what is one of the longest working overhead drive systems left in the US next weekend. 

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #760 on: October 28, 2018, 01:11:34 AM »
Thank you fellows.

Bill, I won't even be through the door into the woodworking shop at the back until November.

Hello  rspringer  :)

Thank you.  What a fascinating visit that will be! If you get a few shots feel free to post them on this thread.  ;)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #761 on: October 28, 2018, 03:02:00 AM »
Outstanding!!! 

:ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #762 on: October 28, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
Hi John, that's brilliant.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #763 on: October 28, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »
Many thanks all for the replies re- belt tensioning,  John :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #764 on: October 29, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »
You are very welcome.

When I was reviewing some of my early photos of line shafts, hangers,belts and pulleys, I came upon some that may be of interest here since the topic is being discussed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal