Author Topic: Textile Mill Diorama  (Read 112307 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Watch Your Back
« Reply #705 on: October 12, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »
After installing the desk, I saw how close it was to the flywheel. I wouldn't want to be standing at that desk, forget myself and step back!  :-[

A railing is necessary around that flywheel. Unplanned, but a lot of fun to make.

There is on the market brass tubing 3/32" i.d. and solid rod  1/8" o.d. They telescope.

The project starts with making the many fittings for the lengthes of pipe runs. Fortunately I have a little cut-off saw that I can fit with a fibre wheel to cut metal. You can set the vice to 45 degrees and back to 90 degrees.

Making the elbows is shown here:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:09:43 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: Textile Mill Diorama
« Reply #706 on: October 12, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
The tee's are made a little differently. One end of the 1/8" pipe is milled with a 1/8" end mill to fit at 90 degrees to the longer piece of pipe.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:13:12 PM by J.L. »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #707 on: October 12, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »
Nice work on the railing joint, John.  So it looks like your soft soldering these?  And is that a solder paste?  Have you had good luck with the paste?

Kim

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #708 on: October 12, 2018, 06:09:39 PM »
Hi Kim,

Thanks. Yes, I only use soft solder. I have never learned how to silver solder.

Yes, I use a flux regardless of whether the solder is acid or rosin core. I find solder flows nicely with a clean joint. The solder is very fine and sold in the hobby stores for electronics hobbiest use.

I have taken lately to giving the finished parts a bath in a bit of Acetone. I think that gets rid of the flux residue and lets a primer do it job better.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:02:34 PM by J.L. »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #709 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
Hi JL,

Love the desk detail.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #710 on: October 13, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Thanks Thomas.

Appreciated.

The floor flanges were made from round bar stock. To avoid having to drill all the mounting holes individaully, two holes were drilled down deep into the stock. The flanges were then sliced off with a shoulder in the lathe.

They were shaped on the 1" belt sander.

You can see from the last photo, that the railing lengths have to be individually sized when the rail assemblies are put together. You can see the amount of steel rod that will have to be ground off the make the height of the rails equal.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Railings
« Reply #711 on: October 14, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »
The left and the right side of the flywheel railing...

Some of bolt heads are dummies and the others will anchor the flanges to the concrete floor.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #712 on: October 14, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
On the home stretch with the flywheel railing.

A nice thing about the way I've designed the railings is that they slide up and down and along the rails. All the vertical rails did not have to be cut at the fittings.

Only this one section at the 'cross' will require two pieces of vertial railing.

I think there is enough internal tension in the finished railing that when the bolts are pressed down into the floor, no glue will be required to keep the unit in place.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #713 on: October 14, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »
A very long drill was required to reach deep down behind the engine to drill the holes for the flange mounting bolts. Aircraft drills are 8 in. long, but I did not have one 1/16" dia.

I made a drill holder out of soft 1/4" steel rod and bored a 1/16" hole in its end. The drill bit was then CA glued in place.

Worked like a charm and I now have a dedicated long 1/16" drill.

I mentioned my dad's egg beater drill earlier in another thread. It always sitirs fond memories of being with him as a child in the shop.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #714 on: October 15, 2018, 01:02:31 AM »
The railing...

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #715 on: October 15, 2018, 01:39:57 AM »
Very nice John!

Dave

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Ladder
« Reply #716 on: October 16, 2018, 03:42:41 PM »
Thanks Dave.

A 12 ft. ladder has been made for the diorama. This will allow the oiling of line shaft bearings and the changeing light bulbs. We will assume this is past the first of the century and gas has been replaced with electricity.

I mentioned earlier that brick and wooden beams gave way to concrete and steel as new textile mills were being built. Our mill has been electrified!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #717 on: October 17, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
Beamwork is beginning for the line shafts and lighting...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #718 on: October 17, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
Wow - more terrific work!
Have you ever considered doing a diorama of your shop, with you building a diorama in it?   :thinking:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #719 on: October 17, 2018, 08:03:16 PM »
Fantastic view John  :praise2:

But please tell me - is it supposed to look like a builder is working on the next floor or are you assembling the beams from pieces ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal