Author Topic: Textile Mill Diorama  (Read 116495 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Steam Pipe Wrapping
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »
No idea of how useful this would be for fellows using live steam.

Neat idea. After drying, I wonder how it holds up to water, steam, and/or oil.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Textile Mill Diorama
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »
Another one I have used is linen tape, used in book repair. Its white with a tight cloth weave, looks like scaled down asbestos sheets.

:popcorn:

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
The outside corner of the boiler room is complete.

The quick disconnect is located directly below the chimney.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Machined Cast Iron Base
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2018, 08:54:50 PM »
Now that the back wall of the engine room has been temporarily put in place, the location of the engine's base can be established. Foam mock-up parts are still useful.

I am so glad I had the base professionally machined. It is so long, I would have had trouble clamping it onto the bed of my mill/drill.

James told me that they had to get creative with shims to get the part clamped onto their larger mill so that they could flattened the bottom first.

I should have asked how they clamped it so that they could make long, uninterrupted passes without fouling any clamps. I do recall James telling me that they have a magnetic milling bed. Maybe they used that.

Also, I would have had troube determining the height of the elevated flats on the top of the bed. They are measured down from an imaginary line 1 1/2" above the top of the baseplate. I think a computer is needed to calculate the distances down from this datum line in the air.  :shrug:

I guess you could probably figure out how high the pads should be from the bedplate bottom with a caliper.

Having this base machined for me put me way down the road.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:26:18 AM by J.L. »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2018, 12:18:10 AM »
What size is that quick disconnect?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
Nice update John. The partition wall looks the part. Your planning has paid nice dividends :)

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »
Yes Bill, I find I'm using the mock-up now to just reassure myself that things are proportional when I cut the real parts such as partitions. The sizes may change a little bit, but I know basically where the door and the window will go in that partition you mentioned.

Hi Carl,
The quick disconnect is 1/2". Interestingly enough, its ID is just about 5/16"- the diameter of my brass piping. The fitting is epoxied on the pipe. The threads you saw in one of the pics above (page 9) just help anchor the epoxy.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:31:16 AM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Concrete
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »
As s time went on, I think concrete became the norm for raised piers and pedistals for steam engines.

So this time, I'm moving away from brick. The pedistal is made of laminated particleboard. This material's edge is notorious for its rough edges unlike MDF, so it has been plastered before priming.

The little router bit was not cheap, but with its integrated bearing, it made short work of edging the wood.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »
John, on that inside corner in picture 3, how did you get the "vee"  chamfer in the corner. Normally with such a bit, the chamfer will have a radius right in the corner due to the round nature of the bit. Did you stop short of the corner and finish that by hand?

Bill

Online sco

« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »
John that base just looks so special - I can only dream about doing something so good on the Lane and Bodley  :(

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
Thanks Simon.

Hi Bill. You are right, the bit does leave a rounded corner. But no, you don't stop short at the corner, you just continue on until the bearing hits and sends you off along the other edge leaving the rounded corner.

Yes, a bit of filing with a fine wood rasp and you've got a mitred corner!

The trick now will be to get a nice concrete 'look' with the sea sponge.

John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
I think it worked.

We'll see when its dry...

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Cuttings Arcs
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
While waiting for that concrete to dry, here's something that has nothing to do with model engine making, but some might find it interesting. A simple stick added to a trim router makes short work of cutting an arc in wood. Once the radius of the arc is determinged a pivot hole in the stick does the job.

I do have a metal working question. When cutting #10-32 threads with a die, is 3/16" round bar suitable?  :headscratch: I am thinking ahead to bolting the bedplate of the engine to the 'concrete' pedestal. The studs will have to be long enough to go all the way through the bedplate, the pedistal and the floor of the diorama. I don't have threaded rod on hand.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
The outside diameter of 10-32 threads is 0.190", the rod you have is 0.1875, that is plenty close enough, should work fine. If its steel bar, I usually take it down several thou under the thread diameter to start it anyway.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »
Thanks Chris,
Just what I wanted to know.
John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal