Author Topic: Stirling engine  (Read 11574 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: Stirling engine
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »
I originally was going to retire 6 years ago and now 6 years later still a little not sure I'm ready mentally. I figure if I'm not ready and want to go back working I'll be able to find something. We shall see.
  Anyway just about to go to a retirement party for one of my friends his last day was today. Go have a couple ales and unwind.
Not gong to get to the shop until tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 12:47:15 AM »
OK wasn't at the party long and did get out in the shop and worked on the legs. It's seems a little top heavy right now I'll see after I get the flywheel made and put in place along with power cylinder and see how it feels the. If it still feels a little tipy and top heavy I'll add a couple cross beam under it to widen its stance. So here is what I've got so far.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
What are the white legs made from Doc. I assume a plastic of some sort, but machined or 3D printed?

Bill

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
Doc, I know 43 years is a long time and retirement will be a huge change, but you have nothing to fear. You are active and have many interests. It's folk who suddenly stop work and then sit in front of the tv / read the paper all day that need to worry. I stopped when I was about 67 and now do three short days per week looking after the boss's collection of "old stuff". It's wonderful :whoohoo:   Get retired and enjoy yourself.

Very Best Wishes.....................Terry

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Thanks Terry!

Bill
  They are made from 1/2 thick Corian. I really like how that stuff machines! I cut the windows in them then buzzed around the perimeter on my NC mill at full depth of cut with a little air to blow the chips away. Looked like a snow storm hit my machine afterwards  :ROFL:.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2018, 12:03:07 AM »
Yeah I bet though I have only one experience with it so far. I understand you shouldn't breath it in any more than absolutely necessary though. The kegs look great though.

Bill

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
Rather than blowing away the dust, a vacuum cleaner set up near the cutting too would perhaps be better.
You might find that you will have to screw the legs on to a base board of some sort, even if that doesn't fall over, it will probably go walkies.
Ian S C
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:57:47 AM by Ian S C »

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 01:13:50 PM »
  Thanks Ian !
    I was thinking along that line I am thinking a piece  of corian for a base under the whole thing. Yes I do use a vacuum a lot on the mill trouble is doesn't seem to work very well on small end mills to get the chips out of the way. I need to come up with a smallish nozzle for the vacuum to get it where it will pull the chips a way. The nice thing it really wasn't much dust mostly chips that were along the line of feathers. May have had the feed-rate a little to slow I wasn't sure of the sfpm so I used aluminum feed rate and just increased it a little. I'm not up on feeds and speeds for plastics.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
Ok did a little this morning made the power cylinder mounting flange.
Cut it n the nc machine mounted cylinder temp with a couple of the screws.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 11:36:04 PM »
Was really nice outside this afternoon ended up taking Rowdy "my boxer" for a long walk so didn't get a whole lot done this afternoon king of like this morning. But I did get the bearing mount blocks "pillow blocks". So I am making headway on it just not to fast.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »
Doc, it seems you have to be a member of that forum to view the .pdf.

Bill

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2018, 09:21:47 PM »
Hmmm guess I didn't realize that couldn't load it here it is just over 4mb and one file here cannot be over 1mb. I probably should remove it then.

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 08:50:19 PM »
Looks like you aren't far from first pop  :ThumbsUp:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2018, 12:16:08 AM »
Congrats on retirement Doc.
Sorry you were/got sick.
If it helps any...the 2nd to the last day of my work...I was passing a gallstone. Luckily that was a Thursday and we were off on Friday.
Had the weekend to recover before I retired on Monday.

(I don't have a gall bladder...but I have a stricture in a bile duct that, once in a while, gets plugged. Think the Alien movie.)

So keep at it! Enjoy! Most people don't have a hobby or anything to do. You have a shop. Enjoy!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2018, 02:36:01 AM »
Thanks Carl!

Oh man that would suck stones are not fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal