Author Topic: 3 inch boiler build  (Read 21822 times)

Offline steamboatmodel

Re: 3 inch boiler build
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:29 PM »
Gary the fuel bottle has to be horizontal for it to work best. You want it so it is picking up the fuel as a liquid.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline gary.a.ayres

• British Isles & sometimes France
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »
Ah - ok. Thanks for the tip Gerald. I had the idea that it would be ok either way but I'll certainly try it on its side.

:ThumbsUp:

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2019, 12:11:03 AM »
Gary,
Make sure you get it on the side where the tube inside the tank is down in the fuel, if you get it wrong it draws vapor and may go out.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »
Yeah, I will Gerald. I think there's a kind of stand thing that ensures it's the right way up.

:ThumbsUp:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:53 PM »
Sorry that there has been very little development here recently. I am slowly working on a stand for the boiler (which will hopefully be quite nice when it's done) but progress is slow as I have resigned from my workplace and am busy setting up a new business venture which is taking up most of my time. Needs must. That said, I did take some time out to visit my daughter recently, and we went to see the Kempton Park Steam Engines - two massive triple expansion engines that used to pump water from the Thames into London:

I arranged the trip months ago, not realising that it coincided with Father's Day  :)

Pleased to report that she enjoyed it much more than she expected to, even if not quite as much as I did. This youtube video (not shot by me) gives a better impression of just how formidable these engines are:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhlJp1VZMB8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhlJp1VZMB8</a>

Well worth a visit if and when you are anywhere near London.

Back to the boiler soon I hope...