Author Topic: aid for failing memory  (Read 4476 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
aid for failing memory
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »
Here's a paraphrase of a  hint that I saw in a post on HSM...

I have my machine screws neatly stored in drawers.  When I buy 100 of some type I need (because that's cheaper than buying five at the local hardware), I can't fit the excess into the existing drawer.  So the box of 100 gets stored in some location away from the go-to drawers.  Predictably, the next time I look in the drawer for one of those screws, I forget the 100 tucked away in their box.  (Sometimes, I even end up buying another box.)

The trick is to take a few out of the box, paint them some vivid color (those quick-drying paint pens work well) and stick them in the drawer as a reminder that there's more on the shelf.

If you have a space-limited workshop (who doesn't?) you know that things get stored where there is space for them, not necessarily in the most logical location.  Generalizing this scheme of storing one or two color-coded samples with the main stash can help take some of the pain out of space-available-dictated-storage.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: aid for failing memory
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:33:22 AM »
I like it. Except I'd run out of paint pens and forget where I'd stored the extra.  ;D
A bit of paper with a note works too.

Never out of paper these day. Wasn't true when I was younger.

Reminds me...didn't have colored pencils. Sometimes came across some colored lead though. Happy times.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:21:31 AM »
I find a bound notebook to be the best thing for all my shop docs
I use these in the shop and professionally also...  They're great!

The format is 11 3/4 x 9 3/8.  If I have prints or 8 1/2 x 11 docs, I just paste them into the note book with envelope glue.
The pages are numbered, and they are stitch bound.   It is super durable and never come apart or tear like split rings or spiral bound.
Readily available in Staples stores here in the US.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 02:41:39 AM »
I've been using 3-ring binders with plastic clear sleeves to hold 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.
I think I got that clue from Marv.
Oil and coffee wipes right off and I can add interim notes with a grease pencil that wipes off later too.

Works well except for when doing drawings and I have a lot of the sheets/protectors out of the binder.
They slide all over the place.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
Carl,

Chuckle, can't find the paint markers.  Yeah, been there, done that.

I've tried the little paper notes before.  Inevitably, they get covered with grease and oil.  Also, they get in the way, get laid aside on the bench and I forget to return them to the storage drawer.

I deal with the things-get-stored-where-there's-place problem with my computer.  I keep a file [named WOIST, German for "where is it?"] where I note the location of things [both shop and office] stored in non-logical locations.  Doing it on the computer offers the opportunity to use photos rather than text to document locations.  A side benefit of such photos is the inadvertent documentation of shop contents in the event of fire or theft.

I'm not sure you learned it from me but I do use those clear plastic sleeves for plans as well as for charts and tables.  I hadn't tried writing on them with grease pencil but that's a good idea.  Thanks!

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »
"Wo ist". Love it.

I really don't take enough advantage of the camera and need to. I keep forgetting that there's virtually no cost in using it unlike the old film roll days.

Nice spot to mention to everyone that they should take pictures of their equipment, tools, home furnishings, belongings and most important, frequent pics of the kids and spouse (and don't forget yourself). Video works too - even better because you can include a commentary.

Handy for insurance, security, and verifying that it's other people moving your cheese.  ;D

I myself need get better at updating my records.

"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
"Wo ist". Love it.

Knew you would.  It's rare that German is more succinct than English but it has its moments.

When taking insurance documentation photos don't forget to use the macro function to get readable photos of the serial numbers on items like firearms, cameras, etc..
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »
Query from SWMBO  -  how did you shoot the serial number of the camera?

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:38:35 PM »
Marv,

aid for failing memory

I can't even remember where my workshop is, never mind what I've got in there.

John

fcheslop

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 12:28:09 AM »
Hi Ray its all done with mirrors :Jester:

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:04:06 AM »
Great ideas I'm sure, but I don't need such crutches.  I remember everything.  And if I don't?, so what?  Is there anything more enjoyable than putting on a pair of pants that you haven't worn for a while and finding a $10 bill in the pocket?  Maybe opening a box and finding a bag of #4-40 scale nuts?  I have never gone searching in my shop that I didn't find something useful that I wasn't looking for.  What joy?  I think I would feel very constricted to have a system for reminding me of what I have.  As long as I know where everything should be, that's good enough.

Jerry

NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 01:10:28 AM »
... but surely the pics of the mirrors just look like cameras?
Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Ray,

There are at least four cameras in this house.  Actually, there may be more; I didn't paint any of them to remind me of the others.  :)

Remember that a computer scanner can take acceptable pictures of flattish objects.

Jerry,

So you enjoy finding a bag of nuts in your pants!?  If you think I'm going to touch that one, you're crazy.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »
If you have too many nuts in your drawers then surely you need bigger drawers?

Reminds me of a joke.

An older man was told by his doctor that there were two items of bad news.  First the doctor told the man he has cancer, and the man was quite upset.   Then the doctor told the man he also has Alzheimer's, and the man said "hey, at least I don't have cancer!"

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back