Author Topic: Upshur Farm Engine  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Dreeves

Upshur Farm Engine
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:43 AM »

I just started another Upshur Farm Engine this time with the Hit and Miss parts. I got the pivot and arm complete to print. I wanted to know how much movement there should be. My arm only moved a very little. Second question is where the block on the push rod should go to hit the arm.

Dave

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Upshur Farm Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »
The tip of the arm only has to move 1/8" to 3/16"--Just enough for it to swing in and out and catch the head of a #4 bolt in the side of the valve push rod to hold it open.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:35:22 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
Brian thanks for the reply. I had to put some relief on the arm to allow it to move more. the print has no information for the catch on the valve pushrod. Any help for a length from the cam side of rod would also help

Dave

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
Dreeves--I have an old print for this engine from 1977. It doesn't show very much. If you have a newer print email it to me at brupnow@rogers.com and I will help you sort it out.---Brian

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »
usually the part of the latch that fits onto teh pushrod wants to be positioned so that when the exhaust valve is fully open the latch tooth is just beyond the end of the arm. That way each time the cam comes round the arm will be released but if the speed is high the latch will re engage, if speed has dropped then it will release but then allow the rod to close the exhaust valve

If you look at this video of the Gade that I made you can see the part on the rod moves to just beyond the end of the arm each cycle.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YUMtlPc6M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YUMtlPc6M</a>

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »
Jason. Thanks I thought that might be the case but wanted to be sure. I’m looking forward to getting it done soon.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal