Author Topic: Two Cylinder Engine  (Read 69335 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Two Cylinder Engine
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 01:25:46 PM »
And due to the 8 picture limit-
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2018, 10:28:48 PM »
That finish looks really good on the crank  :ThumbsUp:

Do I see a few rust spots ...?... if so, you better keep the parts oiled until an eventually paint job  ;)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2018, 11:40:35 PM »
Roger,
Everything looks great, good progress. Curious though, what is the second gear opposite the cam going to drive?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »
Thank you both  :ThumbsUp: The brownish marks on the crankshaft are the last traces of the paint that was on the bar end that I used. The other gear will drive the water pump and the distributor.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2018, 05:36:38 PM »
I found that the alum was working rather slowly on the broken tap and following suggestions from the Forum I warmed it up on one of my halogen work lamps. This produced a much more satisfactory stream of bubbles and after several heatings I was able to push the remaining part out and finish off the cap. The alum didn't affect the aluminium but cleaned off the marking out blue.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_DqGU7GGdw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_DqGU7GGdw</a>

I then started on the camshaft blank. I tried my new parting tool to make the gaps between the lobes, going in 0.5mm and then traversing. After the planned 4 steps the diameter was still 0.5mm oversize and it appears that the cutting force (as suggested elsewhere on the Forum) pushed the insert deeper in.

I now need to extend my milling jig to take the longer shaft. Hopefully I won't need to add a centre support.
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
Good progress on your twin Roger! May I ask you of what kind of material the camshaft are made from? And what kind of tooling you use for mill the cam profile?

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »
Thank you Alex  :ThumbsUp: The camshafts are made from silver steel. I mill them in 6° steps, finish them with a fine file and then abrasive cloth. After this I harden and then polish them with abrasive cloth. The last picture (474) shows my camshaft milling set up.

I then set the conrods up on the mill and drilled and reamed the ends. They were then mounted on the RT to round them off.
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 07:47:06 PM »
Thanks Roger for your feedback. Currently I want to mill the profile of the cams for my engine. They also made of silversteel. Had to make some tools to fit a chuck on a index table and a countercenter. Before I had to much vibration when milling the cams, but the cutters (hss) did not like it. So hopefully I have this weekend some more time and try it again! If that does not work so well, I'll make a tool like yours;)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »
Jumping in to enjoy some  :popcorn:

Looking good.

P.S. Small quantities of alum can be bought at grocery store in spice aisle.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
Thank you Zee  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  Now the weather has improved and I can reopen the R&D dept progress on this will slow while I get back to my fuel injection fun.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 01:59:36 PM »
Now the weather has improved and I can reopen the R&D dept

Looking forward to watching your progress Roger :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
I have being doing a few more bits on this one.
The little ends were rounded off using some filling buttons and the big ends were finished on the RT. I then started on the body of the water pump, this is now waiting until I next change to milling mode.
As I had been doing lots of tiny bits for fuel injectors I wanted something a bit bigger to do so decided to make the flywheel for this engine. I ordered one of the commercial taper clamps that Achim used but decided that it was a bit to bulky and will make my normal taperlock bush.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »
The flywheel is a slice of 50mm diameter CI. It was faced, drilled out to 11.5mm and then bored with a 15° taper until the large end was 18mm. 15° is a bit steep but worked ok on the original 3cc engine . I have used 6° on the bigger engines. The bush is turned from a piece of 20mm free cutting steel. I cut a runout groove with a parting tool and turned the taper. The compound slide had not been moved since the flywheel was bored so the angles should be identical. The bush was drilled 9.8mm and reamed 10mm.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
I then used the Proxxon RT on the Proxxon drill to drill a set of 3mm hole 8mm deep at 120° intervals and a set of M3 holes 10mm deep on the other set of 120° intervals. The bush was then split with a slitting saw on the mill. The bush is then turned 60° and clamped with M3 grub screws in one set of holes and released by putting the screws in the other set of holes.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
Hi Roger, somehow I've missed this thread till now but it looks like a great engine in the making  :ThumbsUp:

It was interesting to see how you tackled the crankshaft.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal