Author Topic: Two Cylinder Engine  (Read 69437 times)

Offline AlexS

Re: Two Cylinder Engine
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2019, 05:18:50 PM »
Great first run! That 180 deg twin runs like a Swiss clockwork.
I see that you are removing the pc radiator to the other engine.
Maybe a idea (electrical sub project) to use the radiator with a switch between engine-pump-radiator for warm temperature and a switch to engine-pump-engine. Like a thermostat but electrical controlled with solenoid valves controlled by a arduino and temperature measured by a PT100. So you could 'control' temperature of coolant.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »
The smaller PC radiators still haven't arrived  :( The were ordered from an Amazon site in Germany but seem to be on the slow boat from China. As it was a nice evening when I got home I decided to give the engine a try with the big radiator. All went well, the circulation was visible and there was enough cooling without a fan with the engine off load.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkSLBta9WE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkSLBta9WE</a>
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »
Hello Roger,

Very well done, sounds and runs great. It is a really nice looking engine.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
You really should be happy with the result so far (I expect that you aren't finished yet)  :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2019, 01:54:46 AM »
Good stuff Roger. Congratulations on a nice running engine.---Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2019, 01:58:28 AM »
Roger,
Once again good results from the R&D department. Your twin runs great, sounds great as well. :ThumbsUp:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2019, 05:16:33 PM »
Excellent Roger, could we have a longer video please.

Andy

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #232 on: October 28, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »
Thank you all for your support  :)

As Per says this is only the begining, the next stages are:

- Fit the correct radiator and cooling fan.

- Couple to a generator and carry out load tests.

- Make a 360° crankshaft and camshaft and repeat the load tests to see if there is any difference.

- Install petrol injection and load test again. (This is only practical with the 360° crankshaft due to the siamesed inlet port.)

- Select the best option and install in a small tractor (possibly to be interchangable with the diesel if it ever runs to my satisfaction ::) )

There will be plenty more videos during this process  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
Great ideas in mind to upgrade the engine.
Also plans to test different exhaust/ intake mods camshaft specs under load?
I would follow along to see more progress!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2019, 03:00:40 PM »
Thank you Alex  :ThumbsUp: I am not sure about changing the camshaft design yet, I will have to see how it runs. I am also not sure that my camshaft cutting technique is accurate enough to show small differences.

I borrowed the generator from the vertical engine and set up a drive using a bellows coupling. The coupling is rated at 3 000 rpm and will be running at least twice that  ::) As the correct radiator has been lost in transit I am waiting for it's replacement. The weather wasn't too bad today so I decided to have a test run.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LbKKnjhT9w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LbKKnjhT9w</a>

The test went quite well but I will need to move the fuel tank and make a lever for the throttle before further runs as well as adding a cooling fan. The best result I got was around 38W but I ran out of hands when trying to adjust the needle and had no chance of adjusting the timing. The voltmeter is hopefully readable and the ammeter is 15A full scale.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »
I made a throttle control lever and added a fan to the radiator. This is a 12V fan running on 6V so it is just a gentle breeze. Optimising the timing and needle I reached a maximum of 45W, 4.5A at 10V. It has quits a crackle at 9000 rpm so I will have to think about a silencer, the microphone on the camera was overloading.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KhXAJvILiU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KhXAJvILiU</a>

After several runs the was an oil spray trail on the non exhaust side of the flywheel from oil passing the rear main bearing. The exhaust side was clean. A quick check of the plugs showed some oil on number one, number two looked good. I had hoped for 60W so will have to see what else I can change/optimise.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
After I refitted the spark plugs the compression seemed very low so looking at the various oil traces I decided to remove the cylinder block and check the pistons and rings. All looked ok even though number one which had the oily plug seemed clean and number two which looked good had an oily piston top.

I then made a quick check of the valves by blowing down the manifolds with one length of plastic tube whilst listening in the cylinders with another length of tube as a stethoscope. Number one exhaust was definitely leaking and number two possibly although this was somewhat masked by the large leak on number one. The inlet valves seemed ok.

I removed and stripped down the head. Both exhaust valves (A4 stainless steel) were quite pitted as were the seats. The exhaust valve seats were re cut using the original cutter and the valves were cleaned up in the Proxxon lathe (the Hobbymat is occupied) using an abrasive stone. Next step lap in the valves.

I don't know if the seats were not adequately lapped first time round or if I have reached the power limit for this design  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2019, 01:38:41 PM »
Are the seats like a edge made in the aluminium cylinder head with a seat cutter?

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2019, 06:45:15 PM »
Yes Alex the seats are cut in the aluminium cylinder head. There has been a lot of previous discussion between seats in the head, seat inserts and combined valve cages and valve guides. At the moment I think that the seat inserts and cages cause more problems  but I am willing to learn (as ever)  :thinking:  :headscratch:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2019, 06:58:32 PM »
You would expect that the valve will shape/fit the seat easier due to the softer aluminum. Definitely worth trying further. I myself also had problems with sealing the exhaust valve. I have finished this by placing the valve seat with cylinder head in the lathe. I'm afraid this is possible for your cylinder head?

Something that comes to mind. To determine the degree of leaking valve, I have to color the valve seat with a water-resistant marker. Then the valve seat lapped. I also had the exhaust channel filled with water and pressurized with compressed air. Maybe this helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal