Author Topic: hello from WV  (Read 4250 times)

Offline atkinson582

hello from WV
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
hello all,

my name is Dave and i am completely new at this hobby (entry level). ive always been interested in this kind of stuff and have finally just bought a new LMS 7 x 16 lathe and even ordered my first engine kit from LMS the oscillating steam engine. i still have to buy lots of tools before i can even start on it like drill bit sets, center punch, surface plate, height gauge, reamers, end mills .... the list goes on and on lol. I'm learning a lot by just reading but i wish i could find some classes close to me that i could go to for the beginner. i also want to buy a mill but i really don't know what size i will need. my goal is to someday be able to build engines like the pee wee v4 or the little demon v8, can anyone tell me what size mill they used if they built one of those engines? I'm looking forward to posting my first engine build as soon as i get all the tools needed.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: hello from WV
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:53:27 PM »
Hi Dave and welcome!  It's difficult to say what resources may be available in your specific location but one thing that may help is to check with the local community college for basic machining classes and see if they are available at at a time that fits your schedule.  Will look forward to an eventual build log on that first project. It is a wonderful hobby and an equally great group of folks here ready to help answer questions. Fair warning though, its highly addictive but just as much fun!!

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dave.
It sounds like you are where I was just a few years ago.
I bought a 7x12 mini-lathe and a casting kit of an oscillating engine.
This forum was key (I mean KEY) to my success.
I don't know if your kit is a casting. If so, I hope it's pretty simple. As I learned, starting with a casting can be difficult.
As for a mill...I went with a mini-mill from Harbor Freight. Got a good deal on it (sale + coupon).
You'll find the mill is not so expensive but all the tools you need (vise, parallel bars, cutters, it goes on) really adds up.
That mill takes some adjusting but I was pretty happy with it.
I've since sold it and bought a larger mill...but I really miss that mini-mill. (And folks here may chime in to say I was 'not so smart' to have sold it.  ;D )

You'll have many failures...hang in there. Build your wall of learning. And ask many, any questions here.
These folks are not just builders, designers, craftspeople....they are teachers. No better resource.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:37 PM »
Hi Dave,
Welcome to MEM!
Kim

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »
Dave

Welcome to the hobby.  I started back in the early 70's when I purchased a new Atlas 6" lathe.  I did not have a clue how to run it.  There was no internet.  I wanted to build a 1 1/2 scale steam locomotive.  I found a local club, read books, and some members taught me the rope's.  My suggestion, in addition to Bill's, is find a club near you that is into building what you are interested in. 

At 71 I am still learning new ways to build models.  This is a great site to give you some guidance and direction just ask.    One other suggestion is to just get started and buy things as you find a need.  Once you start making some chips you will never stop, lots of fun projects with just the lathe.  BTW my approach is to always make the large part first.  I usually screw up so then I can use the scrap I just created for a smaller part.  Yes after 40 years I create scrap on every project so do not let that bother you just do it again, that's how you learn.

Bob

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 12:19:43 AM »
Welcome to MEM Dave

From one of the other Dave's

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 12:40:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum Dave!

:hi:
Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dave.

I was in your same shoes 2 years ago............no experience, but the desire to learn. There's a complete machining course buried in all of the build threads here in these pages and lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks. It really helps to read through build threads for similar projects to what you're building to get an idea of how it's done and what tools will be needed.

i too started with an oscillating engine from bar stock and am now working on my 5th engine. Each one a little more involved than the last. That first engine didn't require a lot of tooling which was a help. I followed the advice that you've already been given, which was to buy the tooling I needed as i went along.

As far as which mill to purchase, you're looking at a slippery slope there.  :shrug: It depends on just how much you want to spend (while leaving plenty of budget for tooling). LMS has some nice mills. The Precision Mathews PM-25V also looks like a nice machine (I think that's the one that Zee just recently bought).

Enjoy your journey.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I guess from an LMS 7x16 lathe that you are in the US. Their are plenty of members there who will be able to support and advise you  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline atkinson582

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
Bill- I have checked all the local community colleges and none of them in my area have this kind of class unfortunately. hopefully I'll be able to start my project thread soon.

Zeeprogrammer- the kit i got from LMS is all bar stock.  I also have a DVD on the oscillating engine that should help me out with the build. as for the mill i need to figure out what size is needed to be able to build a engine like the pee wee v4, i don't want to buy a mill and then later find out its to small for what i want to build later when i get better. i agree for both the mill and the lathe on the tooling ($$$$$$$)

Kim- thank you!

Bob-  all i can do right now is to read books and watch YouTube videos and of course learn as much as possible from the threads here, thank God for the internet lol

Dave- thank you!

Don- thank you!

Jim- i have come to realize that i actually need a lot of tools just to build my first engine. i did buy a few tools when i bought the lathe but still need a lot more. as for the mill, I'm getting the feeling that a mini mill will be to small and i am currently looking at a new Bridgeport.

Roger- yes i am from the US good old West Virginia

thanks
-Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:00:46 PM »
If it's the pee wee v4 I think it is, I believe even a mini-mill would do. But...as many here would say...it's easier to make small parts with big machines than big parts with small machines. Look around the forum...it's amazing what these people do with small machines.

Jim mentioned I recently got a PM25V (comes with a decent vise). Much bigger than the mini-mill and a good deal. While I am very happy with it, I can't give an experienced review yet.

I don't know Bridgeports but they look pretty big. Think about space and ability to move it. Even if you get a smaller mill and then move to something bigger, much of the tooling will transfer. Some of that depends on the spindle (mine is R-8, pretty common).

Looking forward to pictures of our project.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline atkinson582

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Zeeprogrammer- the PM25v is a nice machine and i may have to start out with something this size as i was shocked :o at the price of the Bridgeport lol.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
First of all, welcome aboard. Secondly, West by God eh; what part? My wife is from Clifton Forge Va., just south of the state line. Her niece and husband lived in the Romney, Sinks Grove area, and her sister worked at the Greenbrier ( hated it when she quit, I enjoyed living like “them folks” for a VERY reduced rate  :lolb:. The core group of posters on this forum are the ones that have led me through my “modeling journey” since day one. Great bunch, they are. I started with a Grizzly mill about the same size as Zee’s and it did all I needed it to do and is still used today, though I have added a Bridgeport clone (just for tax reasons  >:D) But first and foremost, for this forum, you’re next “tooling purchase” needs to be a good camera. Cause hoss, this bunch don’t believe it till they see the pictures  :lolb:. Seriously, welcome and make yourself to home  8)

Cletus

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 04:43:01 AM »
Dave,
Welcome to the group. I guess my only experience with small machines was failure. I bought a 7X10 lathe and a Rusnok mill. Having worked as a machinist all my adult life I would echo the idea that I'd rather make a small part on a big machine than a big part on a small machine. The Rusnok mill was a wonderful machine & had a 5000rpm spindle but no z axis. If I put in a drill chuck there was no room for the drill. So when I had the opportunity I upgraded. Fortunately in the meantime I used the machines at work. This isn't to say stuff can't be done on a small machine cause if I did say that, I'd probably I'd have A thousand members tell me otherwise. Try some basic stuff, learn the machine and your abilities,. Build within both of those.  Practice just to learn. There are some really nice wobbler engines out there and that might be a good start. The Hamilton Upshur vertical that I built as a first engine was designed and built by a man who had his shop in his closet with machines much like you are starting with. Sooooo, good luck with your first project :)
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »
Hi Dave, good luck with your entry into this fine hobby of model engineering. 
  I'm in the UK, and not familiar with the machine tool market in the USA, but re. thinking about a mill for the future, have a look at Kim's recent posts ( Workshop : When what to my wondering eyes....)  about his buying and equipping a Grizzly GO695 ? vertical mill.  That Grizzly is a pretty chunky and versatile mill, but not as big and heavy as the Bridgeport.  Not many UK model engineers run to the size and weight of a Bridgeport, though they are nice machines: you would be into some pretty ambitious model projects before you overwhelmed a mid sized machine such as Kim has bought, and the handling issues for that size of mill are, even so, such as need thought and care.  Then there's the DRO fitting.....        Dave

Offline atkinson582

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
Cletus- i live in Kearneysville WV vary close to the WV Virginia line. that Greenbrier place is nice my wife and i was just there for a wedding recently. what type of Bridgeport clone do you have? i hear ya on the camera lol.

Art- i have a lot to learn that's for sure, i will defiantly try to get the biggest mill when I'm ready to buy one as i don't want to run into the problem of not having enough room for the tool.

Dave- yes the Grizzly G0695 that Kim just got is a nice mill thanks for sharing you have me thinking now  :thinking: LOL

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal