Author Topic: Photosuckit having a change in thinking  (Read 2689 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Photosuckit having a change in thinking
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
Just got this email  :lolb: :thinking: :shrug:

http://www.photobucket.com/signin/?returnUrl=http://www.photobucket.com/payment?tier=8&utm_source=ga&utm_medium=email&utm_content=subscriber_id:13885896&utm_campaign=2018-02-04-Subscription

Cletus
That link just takes me to a page to log in - what was the statement in the email?

Just looked at their terms again, and they still just allow hosting to forums for $400/year, which is nuts.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 08:35:49 PM »
This whole sorry affair eclipses "New Coke" as the greatest marketing blunder of all time.  How destroy a global brand in a heartbeat.  If CEO John Corpus resigned, with no package and agree to present himself for daily floggings, I might consider using them again.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
They are doing a package for $99.99/yr with a smaller amount of storage than the $400 one but WITH 3rd party hosting, that was what the e-mail offered. Must be for non commercial use.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »
$99 is still a little steep for a hobby person just wanting to share some photos of his work. The sad part is, the only reason I stopped paying is because of the recurring payment policy. I don't like the idea of someone taking money from me without asking first.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »
They are doing a package for $99.99/yr with a smaller amount of storage than the $400 one but WITH 3rd party hosting, that was what the e-mail offered. Must be for non commercial use.
On their site, they say the $99 plan has unlimited SHARING, not 3rd party hosting. They still show this statement:

"Only the Plus 500 plan supports 3rd Party Hosting."

Unless, you are getting a different plan with that email as the intro. Still, I am getting the same thing for free from PostImage. So, PhotoBucket can suck swarf!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »
 PHOTOBUCKET PREMIUM
Perfect for forums, blogs and personal websites
Store up to 300,000 Photos
Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting (not-commercial)
Unlimited Forum Embedding
Unlimited Sharing

$99.99 BILLED ANNUALLY
EQUIVALENT TO
27¢/DAY

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 11:45:35 PM »
3X more than what I used to pay, I would be happy to let them know what they can do with their offer.  :lolb:
Yea I have been getting those emails too.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 12:30:41 AM »
Well if they are still sending out mass emails, they must not be getting as many bites as they expected. I never was a big enough user to even warrant the emails, but I'm with Dave, they can choke on their greed.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 06:07:29 AM »
Yup, I've been getting the same $99 offer and deleting it.
They shot themselves in the foot for sure.
Kim

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »
Same here!
Ron

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »
Well I took a different view. With some 3500 images spread over many forums going back to about 2002 or 2003 a large number of which I can't get back into to edit if I chose a different host so I decided that about an hours work writing for ME Mag would pay for a years subscription to this new package and would take far less time than it would for me to reload all my images to a different host and then edit what posts I could to have new links.

If I had opted to host elsewhere then many of my threads would have been left without images which is of little use to anyone use wanting to look back at them. I would also have had to spend a long time going through tens of thousands of posts that I could edit changing thousands of links when my time is better spent making another engine in the workshop. i would also have to re learn where all my images are located on the new host so that I could easily locate the odd one or two that I may want to use to illustrate an answer in a post.

I would also be left wondering if my chosen new host would do the same as PB and start charging which would mean I have to go through the whole process again.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
Hi Guys -

I tried Photo Bucket when I very first set out to post on the ME forum. Not very PC illiterate then - even less so now it seems  at times  ::)  - I found it very difficult to 'operate' (is that the word I'm looking for?) It was recommended I try Google Picasa which I found very straightforward to use and apart from the slight hiccup in the relearning process when that closed and Google Photos was introduced I have found that as easy if not easier to use. All the photos you have seen on all my threads have been stored as such and to my knowledge I have never lost one from a post - that wasn't of my own making - usually an error in storage.

I believe there is a general reluctance to use this facility because they (Google) will not guarantee the service but I put this down to the fact that this is what it is - a free facility rather than a dedicated photo hosting site.

Personally, unless there is a massive seed change at Google  I can't see them discontinuing it nor indeed charging for it but of course on that only time will tell.

In the meantime that's what I shall continue to use - free and easy to work  :)

Regards - Tug

PS Of course, of course  - not easy to 'operate' should have been 'not very user friendly' ;)
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
Interesting that I have also received the e-mail but my pics have continued to be available.

Cheers,
Rod

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »
Mine were still available as I paid for the basic old 20 package which would have still shown them until end of 2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal