Author Topic: Making Bricks  (Read 4316 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Making Bricks
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »
This is not really about pouring a metal into a mold, but making bricks in a jig is sort of shaping material from scratch.

My next diorama will involve a lot of bricks so I wanted to see if they could be made so that corner slip bricks would not be needed - using full sized bricks. A quick YouTube search revealed a method that is working for me.

1. A jig is made with edges cut with kerfs spaced appropriately. One side of the jig is removable.
2. DAS is the molding clay material.
3 & 4. Loading and flattening the clay.
5  Cutting the bricks with a thin blade. The kerfs in the edges of the jig guide the blade.
6. A drying brick. The bricks come out with a bit of a crown on them like a loaf of freshly baked bread.
7. The brick is drawn over a sheet of course sandpaper to flatten and shape its dimensions.
8. Forgot to show the bricks cut both ways.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:46:52 PM by J.L. »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Making Bricks
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
Interesting process John, and a nice looking result too. I see on the clay package that it is air drying. How long does it take to dry and is the sanding process done once completely dry?

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
Hi Bill,

Good questions. You are right. DAS is definitely air drying; it can take between 24 to 36 hours to harden properly.

The sanding is done when the bricks are completely dry. I draw them two or three time across the flat face of my 6" x 42" belt sander; flip them over and do the same on the other side. The machine is OFF.

But I do use power with my 1" belt sander to tidy up the edges and ends of the bricks. Wearing a mask is a must. I have not figured out how many bricks I will need yet, so I've put my brain on automatic pilot and make a batch a day.

Thanks for asking.

John

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:00:35 PM by J.L. »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
Did you have to do anything special to keep the bricks from sticking to the form?

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »
Hi Chris,

At first, I thought I would need a releasing agent. But the floor of the form is acrylic plastic. An artist's pallat knife is gently slid under a row of bricks after about three hours. They come away from the plastic nicely. (That's why one side of the jig is removable).

John

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »
Great minds think alike John ... I just started on a jig to make some of those as well.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Dennis

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
Thanks for the post John,

I am surprised how well your fixture works, The bricks look very nice.  I have been looking for a brick making process to use on one of my projects so will try this one out.

When you build your diorama what will you use as mortar for the bricks?

Dennis

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:07:49 AM »
Hello John.
Thank you for sharing this.
Will definitely keep this in mind and will use it .
Cheers,Ralph

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »
I have a press  for making little bricks, they are 42 mm x 18 mm x 12 mm. The clay (real clay from the local brick works)is put in the 42 x 18 steel mould, this has a false bottom attached to a lever to eject the pressed brick. When loaded the top of the mould is closed forming the brick, then opened and the bottom pushed up to eject.  The top of the mould is engraved to print out our museums name(the first brick works in Canterbury were owned by, and were on the property that our museum is situated.     HOMEBUSH      as on the full size bricks.
                                                                           NZ

One brick at a time is rather slow.                                                                                               
Ian S C

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
Ian, I would love to see a picture of your little brick press. Is that possible?

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal