Author Topic: Cretors vertical motor  (Read 4130 times)

Offline tinkerer

Cretors vertical motor
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:25 AM »
Just got the castings kit from Myers for the Cretors vertical wobbler engine. It's all aluminum castings no bar stock or anything else that's required to complete. So I wouldn't call it a "kit" exactly. Casting quality looks good be interesting to build.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Cretors vertical motor
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »
The majority of casting kits are just the castings. A few you may get gear or a hard to obtain piece of material. It is the kits aimed at the beginner that tend to have all the barstock and fixings included eg the simpler Stuart offerings.

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:31 AM »
 :pics:

We need to see the castings  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
Myers "kits" are pretty bare bones...the half scale popcorn set which Tennessee Whiskey just got is the same. The Rider Ericsson set does include a couple of pieces of steel tubing, but I replaced those with stainless, so might as well have been just the castings in that set too. Looking forward to seeing this one, its quite a nice looking oscillator and the curved spoke flywheel adds a bit of elegance to it as well.

Bill

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
I haven't figured out how to reduce the size of pictures to be able to post. I had photo-=#@ & refuse to pay their ransom.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »
If you can get them under 1GB for each picture you can add them as an attachment. There are numerous free applications out there than will do that or something like photoshop if you have access to that. I am still using Picasa but Google no longer supports it (though it still works nicely) and i think it may have been replaced by Google Pictures or something. A quick search for free photo editing software should turn up several alternatives.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »
Some meany Admin has reduced attachment sizes to 512KB as she got frustrated with pics taking forever to load on her land line and the number of complaints from other members using their mobile phones  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »
Ah ok Jo, good move i think as it had been at 512KB before a certain admin upped it to 1GB  ;D Though it is still showing 1024KB on my attach screen

Bill

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 02:35:00 AM »
Something I did notice on these Myers castings. The main frame support piece. Does not have the arm for the gear off the side. If someone wanted one as a proper replacement for one on a cart. It won't work without that other arm & gear that drive the peanut or popcorn mechanism. The flywheel is nice & has the "S" shaped spokes. But it's aluminum & wish they'd just used the brass one from their other machine kit. Everything is aluminum but I plan on using some brass parts I'll have to make. Like the crank arm & cylinder caps.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 07:35:24 AM »
Bob Pearson would have the proper casting with the gear support as he uses original Cretors patterns if anyone was wanting the engine for a restoration job.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »
Any machining done on this one yet or still in the casting fondling phase? I just ordered a set of these casting from Myers while he has them in stock. Hope you will do a build log on it once the swarf starts to fly.

Bill

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
Does Pearson offer whole sets of castings? I like the idea of the original Creators patterns. A  horizontal Cretors has long been on my list of someday projects.

Paul

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 01:27:31 AM »
Jo, here is a so-so picture of the castings for the Cretors vertical. Mine came in today but will be put in the aging bin for a while after a little fondling tomorrow. Quality looks pretty good at first glance.

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
lovely castings ...but what is it about American engines that have a rather different look and feel to them ?? I have noticed this with lots of engines from across the pond !!
Willy............pondering on....!!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 02:00:19 AM »
lovely castings ...but what is it about American engines that have a rather different look and feel to them ?? I have noticed this with lots of engines from across the pond !!
Willy............pondering on....!!
How do they look different?

Is it because they drive on the other side of the lathe (road), or does the casting metal have a different accent?   :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal