Author Topic: 3d printers in the shop  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
3d printers in the shop
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:04:07 AM »
I guess it is official that machining and three d printing do go together . Travers tools is now showing the flash forge in there catalog.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: 3d printers in the shop
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47:28 AM »
Hi Tin,
 Yep they are here! Just found out about a guy not to far from me ( well ok 4 hours drive) doing 3D wax printing of patterns then having them cast. The loco cylinder he has just had done is a work of art! All cavitys included. The casting he quotes that all dimension are with 0.1mm of the cad drawing, pretty good in cast iron I think. The foundry didn't think they could do it, but the guy what'd it done to see how it compared to the silicon bronze one. Sounds like it went very well! He has also had item cast in 4130 that look good as well.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »
I purchased a roll of print2cast wax. About a month ago. Did one test print to try it . the test went well. lost a bit of the fine detail but on engine parts should not be a problem.

The Oscars this year were done with 3d tech. a 1928 oscar and a 2015 oscar were both scanned  the designs were  somehow combined and then the 2016  oscar was 3d printed in wax.This years oscar al also bach to the traditional bronze and then gold plated. The used britannia metal for years.
I expect a master was cast  rubber mold made and used to cast the wax for the 60 real oscars but still cool technology. 3d printing is great but a bit slow.

Todd at little locos is using 3d graphics and a 3d printer for pattern development.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
Noticed the other day Mcmaster carr appears to be selling maker bots.

https://www.mcmaster.com/3d-printers