Author Topic: Hi ....  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Jakdaw43

Hi ....
« on: January 28, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
Hi there out in the wide world.   I live in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire in the Midlands of England.
I've been a model engineer since age 11......Stuart Turner 10V at school...first loco  ran age 16 ('Juliet' by LBSC)....20 locomotives 3 1/2" to 7 1/4" gauges and three Burrell traction engines in 2" to 4" scales later....I think I've got my eye in now at 74 !!
My bucket list now contains two 'must-do' items....a 5" gauge De Winton 'Coffeepot' loco and a large, detailed Corliss mill engine.
I purchased a set of Peter Southworth Corliss engine castings at a club sale about 10 years ago and started work on my magnum opus in November 2017 a triple expansion, cross-compound engine with Corliss HP with condenser/pump in tandem, Corliss IP with slidevalve LP cylinder in tandem.
It makes a pleasant change to be working on the Corliss; the work so far....
Engine baseplates, main bearings, crankshaft and valve gear eccentrics;  flywheel.
HP and IP Corliss blocks with covers; valve bonnets and trip gear pivots with dashpots.
Condenser/pump.
This weekend (27th Jan'18)  I made up a baseboard/box and loosely assembled the crankshaft etc....nice to see the grooved flywheel spinning and running true !!   Great joy  !!    :) :)
Stuart alias 'Jackdaw'

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hi ....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
 :hi: Jackdaw, (I assume you got that nickname as you are attracted to shiny things like castings :naughty: )

Yours makes number three of the Arnold Throp (Southworth) Corliss engines being built on the forum  :whoohoo:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
Hi Stuart,

Good start on the Corliss. I love the De Winton locos too! I assume you have the book? If not it would be a must buy.

Paul

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:51:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum Stuart, happy to have you on board and will look forward to the progress on your Corliss.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »
Hi Stuart,
Welcome to MEM!
Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:42:37 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Stuart - looking forwards to seeing more of your Corliss build  ;)

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »
Hi Stuart and welcome to MEM.

Nice.  Another Corliss build.  Will be following along.

Vince

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal