Author Topic: Hoglet- euphoria to despondency!!  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Trevorc

Hoglet- euphoria to despondency!!
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
Hello once again. After the initial pleasure of getting my Hoglet to run i am now getting a little dissapointed in it ( or me). After the first 3 or 4 runs when it started first time it has now become very difficult to get going. I have never got this far before with an i/c engine so dont really know how to diagnose the problem.
I have rechecked the valve timing and spark timing and that seems ok as is the compression so i naturally suspect the fuel supply and carb. The carb is a second hand one of unknown make since the one specified is no longer available. I have stripped and cleaned it and it seems ok.
When the engine does start it roars into life and then suddenly dies.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to how i might track down the problem. Anynsuggestions greatfully received.
Trevorc

Offline cwelkie

Re: Hoglet- euphoria to despondency!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »
At the risk of sending you "down a rabbit hole", it sounds like it's "running out the prime" and just not drawing any or enough fuel.  Perhaps an obstruction in the fuel line or tank?  Another thing worth checking now that it has run a bit and settled in would be the valve clearances. If the intake clearance has opened up, it may be struggling to pull in enough/any fuel (at the right time).

... don't give up!
Charlie

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »
What type of fuel tubing are you using, if silicon that can be dissolved by petrol and clog things up. get some yellow Tygon

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:59:37 PM »
Do you have a vent in your gas tank? Jason is right about the gas line. Is the carburetor getting too hot and vapour locking?

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
Is the venturi of the carburettor too big, maybe not enough suck.
Ian S C

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »
Hi Trevor,
Let's take this one step at a time. You stated that the engine ran fine several times. That would mean that all the critical elements of operation were intact, fuel, compression and spark. Let's start with the carb. The carbs on these small engines are so simple that once the running positions are adjusted they rarely change, or clog up, so we can practically eliminate the carb. If it were a case of the engine running and getting hot then the problem could be vapor lock. When I first got my V-twin running it would start fine and run fine for about 2-3 minutes then the running would get erratic. By opening the fuel needle the engine would smooth out momentarily and then return to poor running. I have clear fuel lines on my engine and my friend noticed that as the engine was running the fuel was pulsating in the line. What was happening was the manifold and carb were getting hot and boiling the gas out of the carb. To remedy this I machined .03 from the ends of my manifold and made insulator spacers. This prevented the heat from creeping into the manifold and carb and boiling the fuel out.  Just a thought.
The compression. You know how it felt when the engine was first put together and turned over. Does it still feel the same? If the valves were sealing well initially and the rings doing their job then those elements shouldn't have changed. It's possible that the valve clearance adjustment changed and if the clearance went away then a valve could hang open and lose compression. Easy check!
Cam timing. I don't know how the gears are affixed to the cams but if they are secure then you can rule out cam timing changing. 
Take it a step at a time and rule out the obvious. These little engines can be frustrating to get running but you cleared that hurdle so it's probably just one element of the 3.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 01:03:33 PM »
How are you powering your ignition? If by battery have you checked/changed it/them? Could there be a bad or loose connection? Otherwise as has been already said is the compression as good as at the start.
Best regards

Roger

Offline RayW

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
I don't know how many rings there are on the piston(s), but if there is more than one ring it might be worth checking that the rings have not revolved and the gaps lined up.This will cause a loss of compression.

Ray
Ray

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 02:10:49 PM »
Many thanks for your helpfull suggestions. I have covered all of the obvious avenues such as fuel tank vent, fuel piping, etc. I am now fairly convinced that the problem is the carb. Being a bit of a novice i used a spare carb from a friend. Upon examination i find that the diameter of the venturi is nearly 6 mm. The build notes say that it should be about 3mm!! My theory is that the carb is delivering too much fuel and flooding the engine with loss  of spark. It starts and runs for a few moments- i take out the plug and it is wet!!
Have ordered from US a carb with much smaller venturi, must wait for delivery to prove if i am right.
However have learnt quite a bit during this trouble shooting.
Thanks for you input and encouragement.
Trevor c

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal