Author Topic: DRO Reader Head failure  (Read 1598 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
DRO Reader Head failure
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
I have a fair number of DRO's on my tools and this is the first failure I have had in 10 years. On the BCA Y axis I had noticed that every now and then it would freeze for a short distance and then start working again. Over the years I have noticed that this freezing only happened in one direction.  :headscratch:

I had tried reshimming the head thinking it might be out of line. In the end yesterday I spotted that it was out again and decided to investigate further. The more I fiddled the worse it got: In the end I zeroed in on the reader head (by this time it wasn't working in either direction  :disappointed: )

Thankfully I have replaced one before so I know how easy it is to replace just the head. A quick phone call the CBR Electronics (and £54) and Colin will be sticking one in the post for me  :) Now I just have to wait for Royal Snail to deliver it :(

Jo

P.S. Best not let me touch anything  :hellno: I have lost count of how many things I have broken this year  :paranoia:

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: DRO Reader Head failure
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:04:39 PM »
P.S. Best not let me touch anything  :hellno: I have lost count of how many things I have broken this year  :paranoia:

No worries here. I'm already a broken man.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:11:16 PM »
Surely that isn't a pick up line Zee. Too funny  :lolb:

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »
Surely that isn't a pick up line Zee.

Best one I have had all year  :embarassed:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:13:44 PM »
A parcel was waiting for me when I got home with a replacement head in it  :cartwheel:  CBR Electronics' (Colin's) service is always excellent  ;)

These reader heads are easy to fit: Once I had removed the two retaining screws use a screwdriver to pry off the plastic cap end of the glass scale. Pull the old head out: the head has three bearing races that let it run on the glass scale that is hidden inside the Aluminium moulding at an angle. Put the plastic end back on the scale and remount on the BCA. Off we go again in less than 10 mins :whoohoo:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal