Author Topic: Some New Toys  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Some New Toys
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »
I'm not quite sure if this is the correct section for this but here we go.
I have been contemplating both a drill sharpener and a power hacksaw/bandsaw for some time and have asked a few questions on here.

I found a good offer on the Proxxon drill grinder and decided to get one. I had read mixed reviews some thought it was excellent others couldn't get it to work  :headscratch:
As a first trial the 9.8mm drill I use as a pilot for 10mm reamers had some chips on the cutting edges so I read the instructions, had a couple of dry runs to understand how it all worked and then reground the drill. The key seems to be ensuring that the cutting edges are correctly aligned with the holder.
I made a trial hole in a piece of aluminium  rod. It was center drilled then pilot drilled 3mm. The reground drill cut well with even swarf from both flutes. The resultant hole was ~9.9mm and the 10 H7 reamer had some material to remove. Looks good so far  :)

I had looked at the ETW hacksaw from Hemingway as well as at a number of the imported bandsaws. Due to space limitations whatever I bought would have to be used on the floor so an automatic feed was important. The Hemingway kit was interesting but a little small and would use up workshop time. In the end I went for a Femi ABS105 that was on special offer from a local supplier.
It arrived and proved ok to fit under the bench now I have moved the welder out to the garage. I made a trial cut in a length of 30mm dia ST50 (moderate carbon steel, possibly the crankshaft for the new engine). It was quiet, quick and apparently square. After I filed the nib off it was flat on the surface plate and true according to a square. Again looks good so far  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:16:57 AM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Some New Toys
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »
And due to the 8 picture limit,
Best regards

Roger

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
How does the auto feed on the bandsaw work? Is it just a spring to keep tension on the cut? Also, did you need to apply oil during the cut? Looks nice!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
You should enjoy the Femi, I've had a 782XL for just over a year and am very happy with it, not got the auto feed though.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:39 PM »
What is meant by 'auto feed' on the bandsaw?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 06:20:21 AM »
On the normal version you hold trigger in the handle and feed the saw into the work yourself. This version has a variable (4 position) spring to control the pressure on the blade, a latching start button and an auto stop for when the cut is complete.
This saw is designed to cut dry, the instructions forbid the use of oil.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal