The Showcase > Vehicles & Models

Goods Wagons for gauge1

(1/4) > >>

Zephyrin:
I’m doing a series of 6 goods wagons for gauge 1, (1/32 scale, 45 mm track).
 the little 4 wheeled open top (gondola ?) type of wagon,  for having something to pull by my live steam locos at the club track…

A row of 6 wagons seem a few when pulled by a loco, but is a lot of parts to make in the workshop !

The 6 frames are now almost complete, I have to start with the wagon casing...

All these little parts were machined with the plain lathe and mill...

No way to insert the text between the corresponding attached pictures, it seems…

Now the parts:
The U channels for the side sills were cut from a small 10 mm square steel tube from the nearest DIY store, sliced in 2, and carefully straightened as being heavily bent upon the cut.
The other frame parts were machined from 2x10mm flat steel profile from the same source.

Riveting :
A specially made supports which holds the pieces tightly together and drilled with the pattern of holes allows all the drilling to be precisely and rapidly done.
Riveting was done with 1mm copper rivets and with a home shop made rivets squeezer for these round headed tiny rivets

The frame were assembled by soft soldering the side profiles and the front and rear spacer with a small piece of brass angle, followed again by riveting.

crueby:
Very nice start on the wagons! You are going to shame me into replacing the plastic ones behind my loco...  :-[

Zephyrin:
episode 2

Axle boxes : parted off from a machined brass 12 mm square, then milled and drilled for the axle.  They hold on their slides by small keepers and M1.4 screws, yes, that small!…

Buffers were turned also with a form tool, from a 12 mm aluminium round bar, a small shop made collet allows the finishing and tapping of their base.
couplings
for the train couplings, I made a blank with a steel round bar silver brazed to a flat piece of the same metal, slices were cut to provide the hooks, finished with files and dremel.

Zephyrin:
Plastic wagons, some are very well made, lots of details, good rolling too, but...pretty expensive, and not made in the home shop !!
I'm sure I cannot get such level of realism, its not my goal anyway, wagons have to be assorted with my home made live steamed locos...

crueby:
Where did you get the plans for these wagons?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version